MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: LCD Function w/ a CPU & Regular Keyboard -- HELP!!
June 20, 2019, 04:37:01 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2019, 04:37:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Help us help you! Help us help you by helping out! The more people know about us, the more help will be available. Click here to find out how...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: LCD Function w/ a CPU & Regular Keyboard -- HELP!!  (Read 1056 times)
torreyspears

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2003, 08:33:54 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Win2000
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model: DELL

Okay CPU Gurus . . .

I currently am using a Dell Laptop to show Powerpoint slides onto two projection screens in a building.  I know the laptops have the blue function key that allows the image to transmit on a screen rather than the LCD Monitor.

Here's the dilemma ... I want to replace the laptop with a Dell CPU tower that I'm not using, so I can free the laptop up for travel.  But the keyboard doesn't have a blue function key (it has the F1 - F12 keys, of course -- I'm a computer newbie so be easy) to transmit from the monitor to the projection screens.

Can it be done, and if so, how?

Any help would be appreciated... THANKS!!!

-- torreyspears

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2003, 08:15:16 AM »

Isn't it called TV out on PCs?

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2003, 01:06:49 PM »

Hi,

You would have to purchase a splitter cable to connect both a monitor and the projector. Is this what you're trying to do?

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
torreyspears

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2003, 04:20:04 PM »

Perhaps I should lay it out a little better ... (thanks for the help, BTW) ... we run powerpoint slides from a laptop to two overhead projection machines on the cieling of our building.  With a laptop, I know you're able to toggle the signal between the monitor on the laptop, and the output into the projection screens, via the Function F8 I believe.

It's not a matter of re-wiring, I'm just curious as to if I unhook the laptop and hookup a desktop instead, since a desktop keyboard doesn't have a toggle function, how can I switch the signal from outputting to the projection screens and my desktop monitor, freeing my laptop up completely?

Thanks!!!

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2003, 04:30:56 PM »

Hi,

The only way is the use a splitter cable or connect the projector directly to the desktop (not using a monitor which is not too practical!)

A desktop doesn't have a second video out like a laptop does.

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
torreyspears

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2003, 05:33:53 PM »

...and if I use a splitter, I won't have the toggle control to turn the projector signal on and off like I do with the function keys, right?  I'd have to turn them off and on if I wanted to change the slides without anyone seeing -- which is also impractical given the warm up time it takes for the porjection machines.

Ahh, well, thanks for the help!

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2003, 12:21:25 PM »

Hi,

With a splitter both the monitor and the projector are on. I am not quite sure I follow about the turning on and off so no one can see when changing slides.

If the PC is at the front of the room with you facing the audience, meaning the PC is facing away from the audience, you can both click to advance in your PowerPoint Presentation and talk to your audience. I am not sure why you would want to turn off the projector in between slides. This would make for a very annoying presentation!

Sylvain Amyot

torreyspears

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2003, 03:07:53 PM »

Hi...

We have slides that people read along with ... the computer is set up in the back of the room behind the group of people.  When we need to open new presentations, we have to toggle the signal off the projection screen so we can switch slide presentations without everyone seeing the ToolBar, etc. ...

With the Laptop, you can Function F8 (CTR/LCD?) and toggle the signal off the projection screens and onto the laptop monitor by itself.  Then we switch powerpoint slide presentations, load up Slide Show, and Function F8 to toggle the signal back on to the projection screens.  So in essence, no one sees us open the new file, etc...

Does that make sense?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: