MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: CD-RW UPGRADE PROBLEM
June 20, 2019, 04:04:52 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2019, 04:04:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CD-RW UPGRADE PROBLEM  (Read 1415 times)
charleyfarley

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2003, 05:29:30 PM »

system motherboard AMD-K6-2/450AFX

Dear Sirs,

very novice i am but i'll try to give you as much info as possible.  i have spent the weekend trying/failing to fit a cdrw to my system. a philips pcrw5224. at boot up it recognises my primary and secondary masters and slave but my floppy disk is failing every time with FLOPPY DISKS FAIL (40)Huh???
i can bypass this and get into windows - its the millenium edition - and here i can see that the cdrw drive is there. the system operates slower and when i put a disk into the cdrw to burn onto the system freezes totally.
is my processor not powerful enough to handle a cd-rom and the cdrw - i tried omitting the cd-rom but it still froze up when i put a disk in the cdrw - and whats with the floppy error code, it won't ever boot up without stopping to tell me it can't find the floppy ??
your help would be much appreciated.

Mark Siddall

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2003, 06:45:03 PM »

Hi,

Make sure you have one device jumpered as master and one as slave per ribbon cable.

e.g.
Hard drive master with cdrom drive slaves on primary IDE cable
CDRW set as master (or stand only depending on drive) on secondary IDE cable.

The floppy drive cable is either on backwards at one end (motherboard or FDD) or the power connector is not inserted properly (could be off by one peg)

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
charleyfarley

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2003, 07:54:18 PM »

hello, thanks for the swift reply.
i tried the cd-rom as master & cd-rw as slave on primary IDE with the hard drive as master on secondary and i couldn't get it to boot up properly. i assume 'stand only' means set to nothing, is that my problem? that aside the only time i got it to boot up and recognise the cd-rw was with the hard drive as master and cd-rw as slave on the primary IDE, no secondary IDE - no cd-rom, but it was super slow and locked up when i put a disk in the tray.
yesterday i did try the floppy cabling combinations you mention but to no avail, maybe i'll try them again.
hmmm....

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2003, 08:05:32 PM »

Hi,

The hard drive should be the on primary IDE channel as master, then you can slave either cdrom or cdrw drive to it. Then try putting the other drive (cdrom or cdrw) on the secondary IDE channel as master (if doesn't work set to slave) by itself. I have seen were setting a cdrom/cdrw drive to slave by itself on a ribbon cable was the only way to get it to work!

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
charleyfarley

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2003, 06:47:53 AM »

hard drive as master and cd-rom slave on primary IDE, cd-rw stand alone - selector clip removed - on secondary IDE (it boots up as secondary slave). hallelujah, i now have a cd-rw at my disposal, AND the floppy works now too, the ribbon was the wrong way round on the floppy itself. it all boots up great now. thank you very much for your help, brilliant, i'll be back.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2003, 12:03:52 PM »

That's great! Glad to hear it! Grin

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: