MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: retrieve data after a format ?
July 18, 2019, 11:54:03 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 18, 2019, 11:54:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: retrieve data after a format ?  (Read 1921 times)
tomo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2003, 09:10:23 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Mother Board MSI KT4V MS-6712(v1.X)Mainboard
Athlon xp 2220
One Stick 512ddr 266
TWO Sticks 256MB DDR 266MHz CL2.5
Gforce 4mx default clock speed 300/500core memory nvidia
80gig hd  FAT 32
Windows xp pro sp1

I recently formatted a partition on my hard drive is there anyway to retrieve the data after this has been done?

Thanks

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2003, 06:03:06 PM »

check your e-mail

tomo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2003, 07:03:32 PM »

Thanks I tried a recovery programme but this was unsuccessful as after the format some other folders were created example Found 000 Found 001 inside these folders are lots of files named File0000.chk and so on, the recovery programme only sees these but I can already see them without the use of the recovery programme.

Don

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2003, 07:05:42 AM »

Sounds as if you have ran scandisk instead of a format, which one is it?

Format you will have nothing at all, scandisk creates *chk to replace files that have been lost because of a destroyed FAT table.

If you can undo scandisk then do it.

It is better to have files that are lost than millions of renamed files that mean nothing at all.

Really, you need to tell me the complete history of what you have done to your computer to result in this almighty stuff up.

Yes you can get your files back but at the moment without a lot more info you got 1/100 chance.

IMPORTANT: do not put any new files onto the disk, else you will lose old info permanently.

If you have NERO or Ghost, back up what you have no matter how corrupted, best to take an image of the HD partitions so that we can work off what you have after you have put your new OS on and got the computer running again!

Anything more you do to it now will lose you more data!

tomo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2003, 09:14:44 AM »

The full story
My old CPU or mother board gave up so I decided to build a new pc with new hard drive all went ok, but I tried to put my old hard drive as a slave to retrieve my files somewhere down the line when I booted up the PC with the second HD it started doing all sorts of things not sure it had seen it as the main drive or what?
Anyway eventually I could see the 2 partitions on this drive and decided to format one of then unaware that there had been renumbered and formatted the on with my files on Sad silly me.

I have not put anything on the old drive the folders and files I see were put on automatically by windows.

What a mess however it

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2003, 02:00:53 PM »

Use this utility to check your partitions and get back to me with what you found...

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2003, 02:05:22 PM »

Download Attachment: PartIn9x.zip 350.35 KB
Right click and select Save Target As... then rename the file as shown here and save.

tomo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2003, 03:36:07 PM »

Thanks I have run the programme but it only detects the main drive.
I must add that I have put this drive on an old PC running Windows 98se as I did not want to cause any more problems on my new PC.

In my computer the drives listed are 98c: d: files e: this is a 6 gig drive partitioned and the other is 60 gig drive labelled f: and g: partitioned the info I am after is on the 60gig hard drive partition g:

The 60gig is off my old PC.

Thanks for all you help

Download Attachment: screen shot.jpg 128.42 KB
Right click and select Save Target As... then rename the file as shown here and save.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2003, 12:36:53 PM »

Hi,

If the recovery utility did not find any files or folders containing your data and you did not do a "Quick Format" when you formatted, the data is lost!

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: