MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Internet & Email arrow Topic: Cant reach folders.....
May 21, 2019, 01:07:02 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2019, 01:07:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cant reach folders.....  (Read 2403 times)
amren

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2003, 10:33:26 AM »

Operating System Version:MS 98 SE
Problem Application Name & Version: MS Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1123
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Portable Mitac 8170, 512 MB, 30 GB

Now an additional problems!! There are some folders (I safe each years in- resp outgoing mails in separate folders.
No there is some folders I can find as dbx.files, but when I open up Outlook Express, these folders are NOT displayed at all???

What to do to get access to them???

Thank you in advance for your help.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2003, 12:56:17 PM »

Hi,

1. Copy the .dbx files that are not seen in Outlook from the 'Windows\Application Data\Identities\hexadecimal_string\Microsoft\Outlook Express' folder to another temporary location.
2. Start Outlook Express, click Import on the File menu, and then click Messages to start the Import Wizard.
3. In the Select Program dialog box, click 'Outlook Express' as the e-mail program to import from, and then click Next.
4. In the next dialog box, click 'Import mail from an OE store directory', and then click OK.
5. Locate the temporary location of the .dbx files, and then select the files that you want to import. Outlook Express should begin to import the old mail and create or populate folders.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
amren

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2003, 03:32:12 PM »

Hello!
I follow you instruction but in the end I ge the error message "No messages ca be found or another application is runing has the required file open"

So I can not import!!!

Whats next your think??

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2003, 07:36:11 PM »

Hi,

Try this:

1. Copy the .dbx files that are not seen in Outlook from the 'Windows\Application Data\Identities\hexadecimal_string\Microsoft\Outlook Express' folder to another temporary location including 'Folders.dbx'. Grin
2. Start Outlook Express, click Import on the File menu, and then click Messages to start the Import Wizard.
3. In the Select Program dialog box, click 'Outlook Express' as the e-mail program to import from, and then click Next.
4. In the next dialog box, click 'Import mail from an OE store directory', and then click OK.
5. Locate the temporary location of the .dbx files, and then select the files that you want to import. Outlook Express should begin to import the old mail and create or populate folders.

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
amren

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2003, 05:49:45 AM »

Hello!
Now it start to be interesting!!. A mistake from me was to not move the folders.dbx. BUT, now next prolbem occure..When I try to import files I have moved into my temporary folders I can on the screen during this process only see the name of the files I already areas local files in Outlook Express...The two folders I have imported to the temporary files are not displayed, and its of course those I like to get!!......I have try to see if those files content already are in some of the other folders I already have in my Outlook Express, but no!!

What is next step???

amren

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2003, 09:38:36 AM »

......HAVE TO ADD THIS IMPORTANT NOTE---------
The files Im missing, ARE seen in Outlook from the "Windows..", but ARE NOT SEEN when I start Outlook Express...
Just to make this clear. As said before, those files I have moved to a temporary folder, but I could not import them...as they still was not visibly among files to select, only the files I already could see when Im in Outlook Express...

Thank you for help....

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2003, 05:45:27 PM »

Hi,

Maybe try creating a folder (with the same name as the DBX file) in Outlook, then copy the Folder.dbx to the temporary folder and try to import.

e.g. Create a folder named "Test" for a DBX file named "Test.dbx"

Sylvain Amyot

amren

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2003, 08:48:40 PM »

Dear Sylvain, THANK YOU FOR NOT GIVING UP!...
Very strange.....I did as follows.
1) Created a new folder in Outlook Express and named it "Test"
2) Copy a message into this new folder
3) Copy the folder "test.dbx" from "Windows.." into my templocation
4) Started Outlook Express and import....
This time the "test.dbx" folder was on the list and possibly to import.

What next?

The problems is still that my large important folders (with each 365MB) are visable in "Windows..", I have moved them to the temporary location, but still when I start Outlook and try to important from the temporary location they are not there??

Should I maybe try to
1) Create new folders in Outlook Express with the same name is the one I cant reach in "Windows.." and I also have in the temporary location??

2) Another question. In "Windows.." is a dbx file named "wbkD142".
Wonder that is??

Again thank you so for you effort try to help me..

amren

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2003, 09:07:04 PM »

I hope now I succed with an Attachment which shows how it looks in my "Windows.." Hope its possibly to open...

Download Attachment: Amren.gif 23.38 KB
Right click and select Save Target As... then rename the file as shown here and save.

amren

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2003, 09:14:16 PM »

.........The files most important which I can not move is the one in the above attachment named:"Skickat (1)", "Ut 2002", "In 2001-10-04 (1)" and "Ut 2001-10-05 (1)"...

Now I will hope for your next recommendation....
-

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2003, 02:00:10 AM »

quote:
Originally posted by amren

Dear Sylvain, THANK YOU FOR NOT GIVING UP!...
Very strange.....I did as follows.
1) Created a new folder in Outlook Express and named it "Test"
2) Copy a message into this new folder
3) Copy the folder "test.dbx" from "Windows.." into my templocation
4) Started Outlook Express and import....
This time the "test.dbx" folder was on the list and possibly to import.

What next?

The problems is still that my large important folders (with each 365MB) are visable in "Windows..", I have moved them to the temporary location, but still when I start Outlook and try to important from the temporary location they are not there??

Should I maybe try to
1) Create new folders in Outlook Express with the same name is the one I cant reach in "Windows.." and I also have in the temporary location??

2) Another question. In "Windows.." is a dbx file named "wbkD142".
Wonder that is??

Again thank you so for you effort try to help me..

Hi,

1. The test.dbx was an example. What I meant was, just like you were wondering, was to create the folder in Outlook named the same as the DBX file.

Try this: rename 'Skickat (1)' to 'Skickat' to remove the (1) in your temp location. In Outlook, create a folder named 'Skickat'. Then close Outlook and copy the 'Folder.dbx' to the temp location. Open Outlook and try to import 'Skickat' from the temp location. If this works then do the same for all the other DBX files you want to import.

2. I have no idea what 'wbkD142.dbx' is! Must of been a folder at one time.

Sylvain Amyot

amren

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2003, 10:57:18 AM »

...What a story!!
I have follow your latest advice, but......still I can not important the "Skicka" folder....When now looking into "Windows.." there is two (2) "Skicka" folders, the one I created lately in Outlook Express and the original one, e.g the one I renamed from "Skicka (1)(Still wondering from where the digit (1) originaly came as I never had made a folder with the name "Skicka (1)" only name "Skicka")...When I import from my temp folder, where I now also have the two "Skicka" folders, the import takes only the new "Skicka" folder!!!Seems as it somehow is two "Outlook Express system", or what to say...
Find attached a part of "Regedit", maybe it can give you some ideas..
Thank you in advance.......

Download Attachment: Amren2.gif 58.99 KB
Right click and select Save Target As... then rename the file as shown here and save.

amren

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2003, 11:50:05 AM »

.........some new info...........
I was thinking on re-installing OE and when looking at my IE it seeems to be Swedish version and the OE in English.......This maybe is a part of the problem........The folder "Skicka" is created maybe in a Swedish language version of OE, and now when runing a English version of OE these folders are in the "Windows.." but may somehow  impossibly to reach in a English language version of OE.......

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: