MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Application Problems arrow Topic: Bright lines on TV
June 24, 2019, 02:52:55 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 24, 2019, 02:52:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bright lines on TV  (Read 1071 times)
Disarmer

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: June 09, 2003, 05:22:41 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows XP
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

I'm getting bright lines on my TV when I watch a movie through my computer. I've got a geforce 4 TI-4600 graphicscard which I use to connect my computer to my TV. If I don't run a movie the picture is fine, it's when I start a movie and set it to full screen (I use WinDVD) that these bright lines appears. They run horizontally across the TV-screen and travel downwards for a while, then they travel upwards and sometimes they're still. I don't get these lines on my computer screen and they don't appear if I run the movie in a small window, only when I run the picture in full screen.  

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2003, 06:08:07 PM »

I hope this helps...

Did you sort out the correct purchase of a CDRW (+ or -) from your original post???

Preamble

Televisions create images by scanning a beam of light across the phosphor coating on the face of the cathode ray tube. This is done in two sweeps which creates two fields, each lasting 1/50sec. These fields are interlaced to produce a single frame of 1/25sec duration. It's the slight difference between the fields that causes flicker, visible line structure and artefacts such as feathering (jagged edges) and shimmering horizontal lines.

With progressive scanning each frame is produced by a single sweep lasting 1/25sec. This eliminates flicker and artefacts, and reduces line structure. The most common sources of progressively scanned images are selected DVD players, high-end TVs and camcorders. At present only NTSC-compatible DVD decks with component video connections can output progressively scanned material. Prog scan is not available from PAL discs because of an as-yet-unresolved licensing problem.

You do not need a prog scan TV to watch prog scan DVD images, but you do need component video inputs or a non-interlaced display device such as an LCD projector or plasma screen. Prog scan TVs are not as effective as prog scan DVD players.

The MPEG2 format on which DVDs are based can handle interlaced or progressive sequences, but most DVD players are only designed to output interlaced video. When a DVD is encoded from a movie source, a flag is inserted into the MPEG2 bitstream which instructs a normal DVD player to repeat certain fields.

Progressive scan DVD players take a different approach. The full frame is constructed from the even and odd fields, and this time the complete frames are repeated in a 3:2 sequence, using a duplicate of a full frame to make up the groups of three.

This irregular pattern creates a slight problem, though - every other frame lasts one 1/60sec longer than those in between, which causes a slight judder. The most important task the progressive scan player must perform is to detect and compensate for the 3:2 pulldown sequence of NTSC video, as outlined above. It has to identify which fields have been duplicated and included to make up the 60-field sequence.

Once this has been achieved recreating the frames to resemble their original film state is simple. The player ignores the extra fields, takes two fields from each film frame and compiles a full progressive frame from them.

Some (high-end) TVs which are described as progressive scan sets have a built-in deinterlacer (or line doubler). The progressive scan in a TV performs the same function as that in a DVD player - it scans each frame in one single sweep instead of two separate fields. Prog scan TVs are not as effective as DVD decks because one, they are not equipped to process in a 3:2 sequence, and two, all the 3:2 pulldown processing is performed digitally in a DVD deck - there is no chance of any analogue jaggies affecting the image.

ref: http://www.whatvideotv.com/articles/general/200112_progscan.shtml

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2003, 01:58:20 PM »

Hi,

Check WinDVD's settings

or

Try Nvidia's DVD player at http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=nvdvd

NVIDIA NVDVD 2.0 delivers the ultimate DVD experience, and its yours to try free for 14 days. NVDVD 2.0 is available for purchase for $39.95.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Disarmer

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2003, 07:28:08 PM »

hmm.. I've tried the Nvidia's DVD player with the same results. Also I've discovered that these lines are there all the time. I get the lines even if I only have the cable connected to the TV, without the picture from the computer. What's that all about?

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2003, 08:11:55 PM »

Hi,

If this is a new card, I would contact the vendor you purchased this card from to see if they have encountered this before and to see if they will replace it.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: