MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Hard Drive Problem?
May 30, 2020, 10:26:43 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2020, 10:26:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hard Drive Problem?  (Read 849 times)
Glitch

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: June 15, 2003, 10:47:37 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows 98 SE
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Hard Drive: ConnerTechnology CT204
Error Messages:  disk boot error, insert system disk and press enter

Hey there,

I was recently asked by a friend of mine to fix her computer, and I've ran across a problem that has left me stumped.

When I booted the computer up it ran through the normal boot procedure up to the point before it loads Windows 98 SE. At that time I got the disk boot error (and there isn't a floppy in the disk drive). I removed the case and made sure that all the ribbons and cables were seated correctly. They were so I assumed that the hard drive had died.

I replaced the hard drive with one of my own, thinking that would fix it, but I received the same error. So I put the original hard drive back in her computer and made sure I disconnected and reseated all of the cables. I restarted the computer and received the same error.

Next time I booted it up I went into the setup menu and tried to auto detect the hard drive. It didn't detect that anything was there. I turned the computer off and checked all the ribbons and cables again, rebooted, entered the setup menu, and it still didn't detect that there was a hard drive there.

Additional Notes: I talked to my friend and she said that it had worked perfectly for her on the day that she was using it, and she left it on overnight. When she came back the next morning the screen was black and when she tried to turn it on she got the disk boot error message. She told me that no one but her had touched the computer. That night we did have a large thunderstorm and I asked her if she used a surge protector and she told me that she didn't(thought I'd add that as a possible cause).

Any help that can be provided is much appreciated.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2003, 12:11:04 PM »

Hi,

Seems like you checked everything! Since this worked before I am assuming this is not a master/slave jumper issue or a reversed ribbon cable.

If a lightening hit nearby it is very possible there was a surge and something fried!

Is her system still under warranty? If so get it serviced.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Glitch

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2003, 03:02:41 AM »

Unfortunately her computer was built by another friend of hers and doesn't have a warranty. All the parts are most likely over their warranties as well as it's a fairly old computer.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: