MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Networking Problems arrow Topic: new to networking
May 30, 2020, 09:45:46 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2020, 09:45:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: new to networking  (Read 1587 times)
deanmawer

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: June 18, 2003, 08:48:04 PM »

hi everybody....i have just tried to network 2 computers, both running xp pro. if i look into system both ethernet cards are working fine. but when i connect the cable to them both, one of them says the cable is unconnected, and the green light is off on the back of the main. if i unplug and insert into my modem the light comes on and all is ok. So i know the ethernet card, and the cable is good in the main pc, and the card is good in the second pc. I am new to networking but not pc,s. Any help would be greatly appreciated......many thanx .....Dean M....cheers

Roll Eyes

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2003, 02:07:11 PM »

Hi,

Are you connecting both systems to a hub or switch/router or are you connecting a cable from one pc to the other?

If you're going directly from one pc to the other, you need a cross-over cable not a straight through.

If you do this you will not have a connection to the internet throught DSL/cable unless you by another network interface card or a router.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
deanmawer

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2003, 05:04:44 PM »

hi admin...thanks for your attention....
   i was going to connect with a direct cable pc to pc, but it seems its not that easy...!!!!
  in your opinion would it be better with a hub/router. The main reason for the connection is so that my girlfriend can share my cable connection, and printer and scanner if possible, but mainly the cable connection......i await your answer.....
once again...thanks for reply....
                          Dean M

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2003, 06:38:04 PM »

Hi,

If using Win98se and up, you can use the NAT software called "Internet Connections Sharing" (ICS) which comes with Windows to share your internet connection. This would require a second network card (NIC) to be installed in the PC connected directly to the internet. Then you can connect both PCs directly using a cross-over cable and connect the cable modem to the second NIC. The PC with the cable modem then becomes the gateway which the other system will go through. The only draw back is that this system needs to be on for the other to access the internet.

Another solution is to use a router with a built-in NAT, like the Linksys EtherFast

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
deanmawer

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2003, 06:41:32 AM »

hello again....next....!!!
all conected ok with a crossover cable. the other pc is seeing mine ok and it has the two little screens in the right hand corner saying connected to the net ect....but ie isnt seeing it...how do i configure internet explorer to use the connection,,?
  cheers for now...
         Dean M

deanmawer

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2003, 01:59:48 PM »

hi again admin...thanks for help once again...
  i have now sorted out my problem...all i had to do was go into connections/lan settings then tick the automatically  detect settings on both computers....
.....bloody simple......me i mean....!!!!
  Thanks again ......   Dean M & Samantha

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2003, 12:38:36 PM »

That's great! Glad to hear you got it working! Grin

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: