MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: PC WON'T TURN OFF
June 04, 2020, 04:20:18 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 04, 2020, 04:20:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PC WON'T TURN OFF  (Read 2301 times)
smudger

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2003, 04:52:25 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

My pc will not turn off it self when i close it down. I keep getting the message that it is now safe to turn my computer off. However, it has been suggested that i need to re-install the xp program again to get this to switch off automatically itself, when i close it down. Is this the only way? or is there a simple adjustment/correction I can make to alter this problem?
Thanks.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2003, 06:22:06 PM »

Hi,

Check out this Microsoft Article and let me know if anything in it solved your problem.

"It is Now Safe to Turn Off Your Computer" Error Message When You Try to Shut Down Your Computer

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2003, 05:02:28 PM »

MOVED FROM DELETED THREAD:

SMUDGER REPLIED:
quote:
I have formated both my hard drives and swaped them over from master to slave and vice versa in case that was the reason for the problem, but i am still having the problem of trying to boot up several times before it seems to kick in? Any ideas why this is happening?
Also when it finally does boot up , I can not turn my pc off, it seems to just keep re-booting then? I have checked the Enable Advanced Power Management Support box in power options, but it has made no difference? Any ideas?
Please help.
Thank you.

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2003, 05:09:54 PM »

Hi,

When you say:
quote:
...i am still having the problem of trying to boot up several times before it seems to kick in...
Do you mean the system will not power up unless the power button is pressed several times or the system powers up and Windows doesn't load unless you reboot several times?

For the shutdown problem, check the "System" applet in the Control Panel. Look at the "Advanced" tab and deselect the "Automatically Restart" option in the "System Failure" section. Perhaps an error occurs during shutdown which triggers a system failure and restarts the system.

Sylvain Amyot

smudger

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2003, 10:23:59 PM »

The system will not boot up at all unless i hold the button in for a few seconds to turn it off, then press it again to try to bootup again. I repeat this a few times until it kicks in. I just get a blank screen until then. It seems to be fine after that, when it eventually boots?
I have un checked the automatically restart button, so hopefully it will turn off now? I will let you know.
Thanks.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2003, 12:23:59 AM »

Hi,

Make sure all your cards, CPU and memory are well seated in their slots/socket.
Also make sure all the ribbon cables and power connectors are well attached.

Did you get a thunder storm right before this started occuring?

Could be faulty hardware, it is difficult to say, could almost be anything. Is the system still under warranty? If so, get it serviced.

Sylvain Amyot

smudger

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2004, 05:59:50 PM »

I have found out at last, that the trouble was that i needed to update a program called easy cd creator 5. I do not know why but it was causing the problem, which has now been resolved.
Phew.

crazyballerman

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2004, 07:15:54 AM »

i had a shutdown problem too

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;311806 try

use taht maybe itll help u

crazyballerman

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2004, 07:18:10 AM »