MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Networking Problems arrow Topic: network drop off
May 30, 2020, 09:35:03 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2020, 09:35:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: network drop off  (Read 1741 times)
EW Jim

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2003, 02:09:18 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:xp home P4
Problem Application Name & Version: network
Problem Hardware Make & Model:Intel (R)/100 VE Network connection
1394 Net Adapter
Error Messages:Cable unplugged

Trying to network 3 systems 1 HP, 1 Gateway and 1 Compaq Laptop through a Linksys hub.
I am having no problems with the Gateway and the Compaq but the Hp shows the cable is unplugged but it is plugged in and with a good cable I had it working at one time but has since dropped off.  I have rolled back the drivers to no avail, I am not sure what COM port it is in but I only show com2 and that twice.

HELP! Please
Lost and confused Jim
Undecided

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2003, 04:06:29 PM »

Hi,

Network Interface Cards (NIC) don't use COM ports.

- Verify "Device Manager" to make sure the NIC doesn't have a yellow dot with exclamation mark. Make sure the card is not under an "Other Devices" type (if exists)

- Try a different network cable. Try one from the a working system to test.

- Make sure the NIC is well seated in its slot.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
EW Jim

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2003, 03:25:28 AM »

No yellow dot and I have tried a working cable and I have checked the NIC seat it seem good.  The only thing I have done to my system was to add a Radeon 9000Pro. This should have no effect on the NIC.Undecided
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Hi,

Network Interface Cards (NIC) don't use COM ports.

- Verify "Device Manager" to make sure the NIC doesn't have a yellow dot with exclamation mark. Make sure the card is not under an "Other Devices" type (if exists)

- Try a different network cable. Try one from the a working system to test.

- Make sure the NIC is well seated in its slot.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2003, 12:35:50 PM »

Hi,

Are you saying the NIC worked before the Radeon was installed?

Check for resource (IRQ) conflicts

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
EW Jim

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2003, 01:15:52 PM »

yes,but It has been some time since I tried to use my Network
quote:

Hi,

Are you saying the NIC worked before the Radeon was installed?

Check for resource (IRQ) conflicts

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2003, 03:02:18 PM »

Hi,

Are you connected to a hub? If so, make sure you're not connecting to a cross-over port (hub to hub). Try a different port on the hub. Is there any activity on the port used for the HP?

Sylvain Amyot

EW Jim

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2003, 10:05:02 PM »

Yes I am using a hub, I have even tried the port that the Gatway was working in and it made no differance I don't think its the hub.  Can I uninstall the NIC and reinstall it?  Do you think this would help?  Undecided
quote:

Hi,

Are you connected to a hub? If so, make sure you're not connecting to a cross-over port (hub to hub). Try a different port on the hub. Is there any activity on the port used for the HP?

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2003, 01:01:34 PM »

Hi,

If the cable is good, the port on the hub is good, Windows reports the NIC is working properly (in Device Manager), then I would be tempted to think the NIC is defective.

You can try updating the drivers or removing the drivers, reboot, which will then redetect the NIC and prompt for drivers but from what you have told me I suspect the card is defective.

You could also try moving the NIC into another slot to make sure that the problem is not the PCI slot.

Sylvain Amyot

EW Jim

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2003, 08:51:24 PM »

Thank you for your help.  I have replaced the card and everything works fine now;D
quote:

Hi,

If the cable is good, the port on the hub is good, Windows reports the NIC is working properly (in Device Manager), then I would be tempted to think the NIC is defective.

You can try updating the drivers or removing the drivers, reboot, which will then redetect the NIC and prompt for drivers but from what you have told me I suspect the card is defective.

You could also try moving the NIC into another slot to make sure that the problem is not the PCI slot.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2003, 03:03:01 PM »

Hi,

That's great! Glad you're up and running! Grin

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: