MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: keyboard problem w/new motherboard
May 30, 2020, 10:30:47 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2020, 10:30:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Help us help you! Help us help you by helping out! The more people know about us, the more help will be available. Click here to find out how...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: keyboard problem w/new motherboard  (Read 1059 times)
Pegglz

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2003, 11:13:39 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: windows XP
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:asrock k7vm2 motherboard

I purchased 2 ASROCK K7VM2 motherboards from our local pc supplier to upgrade my mothers business computers. The first one is up and running fine with it's used AMD Duron 800 CPU chip and original hard drive. The second one is still on my kitchen table. Motherboard is installed with a new AMD Athlon 2200 CPU and jumpers are ok. When we power it up, the keyboard does not work. This keyboard is ok on the other machines in the house. We tried to boot from a floppy and it gives us an error of not being able to find mouse drivers.  This board has onboard video, and other cool things.  We can't seem to find the problem? Any suggestions would get this thing off my kitchen table quicker.

Thanks

cosmicrivers

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2003, 12:57:35 PM »

hello  Peggiz, i have a couple of ideas i hope will help you out with your dilemma. so your keyboard is not functioning and also you're not detecting any of the drivers for your mouse.  i take it your mouse doesn't work either. another question i have for you is, i understand that on the first system with the Duron installed, you are using the hard drive from a previous computer and it's running a-ok.  what's the status of the hard drive in the system with the Athlon installed? have you checked the BIOS to make sure your computer has enabled the  keyboard? take a working keyboard from around your house and try to get into your BIOS.  
also, with device and driver problems,  a good route to take, is to reinstall WindowsXP over the current existing copy installed on your pc. put in your WindowsXP cd-rom and click >install WindowsXp.  on the next page it'll ask you if you want a new install or an upgrade installed.  don't click on new install, and choose upgrade instead.  from here just follow directions until installation is complete.  what this procedure will do, is install WindowsXp over the current running version.  filling in any applications that were missed during the first installation of WindowsXp.  Good Luck, let me know how it turns out or if you have any questions, and have a great day.

p.s. in the Bios for this motherboard it should look like this
in the POWER SETUP MENU
suspend to Ram (s3) - disabled
repost video on s3 resume - disabled
restore on AC/power loss - power off
ring-in power on - disabled
PME power on - disabled
keyboard power on - disabled
RTG Alarm power on - disabled

also on the jumpers - short pins 1 and 2 on +5v
PS2_USB_PWR1

Pegglz

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2003, 02:14:44 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by cosmicrivers

hello  Peggiz, i have a couple of ideas i hope will help you out with your dilemma. so your keyboard is not functioning and also you're not detecting any of the drivers for your mouse.  i take it your mouse doesn't work either. another question i have for you is, i understand that on the first system with the Duron installed, you are using the hard drive from a previous computer and it's running a-ok.  what's the status of the hard drive in the system with the Athlon installed? have you checked the BIOS to make sure your computer has enabled the  keyboard? take a working keyboard from around your house and try to get into your BIOS.  
also, with device and driver problems,  a good route to take, is to reinstall WindowsXP over the current existing copy installed on your pc. put in your WindowsXP cd-rom and click >install WindowsXp.  on the next page it'll ask you if you want a new install or an upgrade installed.  don't click on new install, and choose upgrade instead.  from here just follow directions until installation is complete.  what this procedure will do, is install WindowsXp over the current running version.  filling in any applications that were missed during the first installation of WindowsXp.  Good Luck, let me know how it turns out or if you have any questions, and have a great day.

p.s. in the Bios for this motherboard it should look like this
in the POWER SETUP MENU
suspend to Ram (s3) - disabled
repost video on s3 resume - disabled
restore on AC/power loss - power off
ring-in power on - disabled
PME power on - disabled
keyboard power on - disabled
RTG Alarm power on - disabled

also on the jumpers - short pins 1 and 2 on +5v
PS2_USB_PWR1

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2003, 02:43:35 PM »

Hi,

If you cannot type anything right of the bat (e.g. hit <F2> to enter BIOS setup) then the problem is at a hardware level. Since you tested the keyboard and it works fine, I would bring back the motherboard for a replacement. Seems like the keyboard controller may be shot!

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: