MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: hard disk error
May 30, 2020, 10:53:37 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2020, 10:53:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Help us help you! Help us help you by helping out! The more people know about us, the more help will be available. Click here to find out how...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: hard disk error  (Read 1407 times)
bella

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2003, 11:42:44 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:6x86MX-PR233
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:(1)Hard disk error(2)VGA Mem 2MB.

i have my friends computer which will not boot.it says it has a hard drive error press F1 to continue.then insert floppy disk. when i insert the floppy disk what should i type in after A:|<

Have tried booting from w98se cd and it gives an error message not enough memory. also tried fdisk and it says no hard drive. Help!!!
 have thought of replacing or taking out and putting back the cmos battery as when i try to get into setup to see if it is autodetecting hard drive it asks for a password and my friend doesn't know it.  any suggestion gratefully received.

caron millon
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2003, 01:10:51 PM »

Hi,

Because of the age of the system, I would suspect that the CMOS battery is dead and the hard drive parameters are lost.

Now the password is a problem! Some motherboard using a coin shaped CMOS battery would reset itself if the battery was removed and the arm holding the battery was pushed down to touch the bottom of the socket for a few seconds (do this when the system is powered off!)
If the battery is not of that type, sometimes there was a jumper that could be put on two pegs to reset the password. If you can get the make and model of the motherboard I can look to see what can be done.

Until the hard drive parameters are back into the BIOS (CMOS), there is nothing that booting off a floppy will do since the system doesn't even know there is a hard drive.

Let me know if you can get the make and model.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
bella

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2003, 07:04:18 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Hi,

Because of the age of the system, I would suspect that the CMOS battery is dead and the hard drive parameters are lost.

Now the password is a problem! Some motherboard using a coin shaped CMOS battery would reset itself if the battery was removed and the arm holding the battery was pushed down to touch the bottom of the socket for a few seconds (do this when the system is powered off!)
If the battery is not of that type, sometimes there was a jumper that could be put on two pegs to reset the password. If you can get the make and model of the motherboard I can look to see what can be done.

Until the hard drive parameters are back into the BIOS (CMOS), there is nothing that booting off a floppy will do since the system doesn't even know there is a hard drive.

Let me know if you can get the make and model.

I don't know if this information is any good, but it says American Megatrends Inc. AmiBios (C) 1996 A.M/ INC at the top of the screen and 51-o224-001437-00111111-071595-571-007_66_571-H.

caron millon
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2003, 07:33:32 PM »

Hi,

Unfortunately this is not the info I need. Sad

The motherboard make and model are usually marked on the motherboard itself or on the manual (if your friend still has it).

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
bella

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2003, 07:30:48 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Hi,

Unfortunately this is not the info I need. Sad

The motherboard make and model are usually marked on the motherboard itself or on the manual (if your friend still has it).

I have looked all over the motherboard and cannot find anything written, other than it is a socket 7 in a PCS direct case it has 3 PCi slots and 3AGP slots and a chip that says amibios burn 24. I have managed to delete the password by removing the jumpers and changed the battery but it still refuses to recognise the hard, I have set the cmos to auto detect it but to no avail. How do I manually set the parameters.

caron millon
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2003, 02:04:38 PM »

Hi,

Is the hard drive spinning up?

Make sure the connector (power and ribbon) cables are well connected.

If the BIOS cannnot auto detect the drive then it is a physical connection issue or bad drive. Also could be that the hard drive is not jumpered correctly for its master/slave settings. If it is the only device on the ribbon cable, set it to master (or single drive for some make) and if there is another device (e.g. cdrom drive or another hard drive) on the same ribbon cable, set to master.

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: