MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: problem with installing cd-rw
October 18, 2019, 07:48:49 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 18, 2019, 07:48:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: problem with installing cd-rw  (Read 1699 times)
pam

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2003, 10:21:41 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Windows 98
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:Freecom Internal CD-RW IDE (ATAPI) Drive
Error Messages: Configuration/Setup Utility

Hi

I've recently tried to install a CD-RW.  The CD-ROM reader had to be removed as there was no spare room on the hard drive box.  When the computer is switched on it shows a blue screen with "Configuration/Setup Utility" at the top of the screen.  Below it is a list of options headed with 'Select Option'.

The 'option' with appears to be 'selected' (or highlighted) is 'Devices and I/O Ports'.  When i click on this, further options show but i don't know what they all mean and i don't want to change anything incase i mess things up further.

When i exit, a black screen shows with a message at the top left hand corner stating, '1962 Boot Sequence Error'.

When i exchange the drives the same error message pops up so now both the CD-ROM and CD-RW are not operating and i can't do anything else with the computer.  

Before trying to install the CD-RW the computer worked fine.

I'm not very good with computer terminology so i hope the above information does make sense.  I've checked the rest of the site to see if a similar problem has been posted but didn't find anything.

Thanks for any help.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2003, 03:06:59 PM »

Hi,

Check the old cdrom drive for a small plastic jumper at the back of the drive. If the cdrom drive was on the same ribbon cable has the hard drive, then it should be set to slave. Make sure the new cdrw is set to the same setting (slave) but check the legend on the cdrw drive because the jumper may be on different pegs for the slave setting. Then when the system goes back into the BIOS setup (Configuration/Setup Utility) simply exit and save settings.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
pam

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2003, 10:14:28 PM »

Hi

thanks for responding to my query.Smiley

After checking that the pin is set to slave and the connections are correct i'm now getting another problem.  

When i start up the computer it runs the Bios screen as normal with the IBM logo and gives the memory info etc.

But instead of the desk top icons showing on the monitor i'm now getting an image of a floppy disk drive and an arrow pointing at the slot.  

When i tried to exit the message '1962 Boot Sequence Error' appeared.

So i inserted a blank floppy disk and a 'Microsoft Windows 98 Start-up Menu' appeared.

It gives the following options :

1. Start computer with CD ROM

2. Start computer without CD ROM

3. View the help file

I don't know what particular CD ROM it wants and i don't have a start-up CD ROM if that's what it's requesting.

If i select any of the options i get the message : 'Preparing to start computer ..... Windows 98 has detected that Drive C does not contain a valid FAT or FAT32 partition.  There are several possible causes.'

Three causes are listed in detail, but i'll give a brief summary of each.

1. The drive may need to be partioned.  Run FDISK from MS-DOS command prompt.  

2. You may be using 3rd party disk-partioning software.  If so remove the 'Emergency Boot Disk'.

3. Scan for virus as can cause Drive C not to register.

I have no idea of what any of this means.

Sorry for the long e-mail.  Again, i'm not au fait with computers but i hope it makes sense.

Thanks again for any help.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2003, 03:56:55 PM »

Hi,

Seems the system is not recognizing the hard drive. Verify the ribbon cable is well connected and that the hard drive power cable is connected properly.
If you notice that the old cdrom drive and the hard drive jumper settings were both set to cable select (CS), then leave the hard drive to CS and set the cdrw to CS. If the old cdrom drive was set to slave, make sure the hard drive jumper is set to MASTER and the cdrw drive to SLAVE.

When booting off floppy, if you get the 'Microsoft Windows 98 Start-up Menu' then the floppy disk is not blank but is a Windows Startup Disk. Booting off a floppy disk at this point is not going to do anything until the system recognizes the hard drive.

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
pam

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2003, 11:13:56 PM »

Hi Admin

Sorry to ask this, but what is or where would i find the 'hard drive jumper'?

I've located the 'jumper' on the actual CD-RW itself but don't know where to find the 'hard drive jumper'.

I checked the jargon buster on this site but found no definition.

(I told you i was no good with computers;D)

Thanks again for any help.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2003, 12:36:48 PM »

Hi,

The jumper is a small plastic cap (with metal on the inside) that fits over two small pegs to connect them together. Depending on your hard drive manufacturer, it is either on the back edge of the drive or a very small one on the circuit board under the drive.

If you tell me the make and model of your hard drive, I can tell you exactly where to look.

Sylvain Amyot

pam

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2003, 07:43:37 PM »

Hi

The sticker on the hard drive box says it's an 'IBM Personal Computer 730 - Model no 6877 VAE'.

I hope this is the info your requesting.

thanks

pam

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2003, 03:44:30 PM »

Thanks but the info I need is for the hard drive not the system.

Sylvain Amyot

pam

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2003, 10:57:54 AM »

Hi, i found the hard drive jumper and set it and the cdrw jumper to the various positions you advised but i'm still getting no joy.  

When the BIOS screen shows i save the new settings and the screen goes black.  An error message appears '1962 boot sequence error'.

Is there anything else i can do or is the hard drive damaged?

thanks again.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2003, 05:00:22 PM »

Hi,

Can you tell me how the system is now configured?

Primary Master - hard drive?
Primary Slave - cdrom?
Secondary Master - cdrw?
Secondary Slave -

The primary IDE port is the first connector, which supports two devices, a master and slave. The boot hard drive has to be the primary master (master setting set by jumper on drive)

---------------------
By IBM support:

Hard Disk Drive Boot Error:
A hard disk drive boot error (error codes 1962 and I999030X) can be caused by the following:

The start-up drive is not in the boot sequence in configuration.  Check the configuration and ensure the start-up drive is in the boot sequence.  

No operating system installed on the boot drive.  Install an operating system on the boot drive.  

The boot sector on the start-up drive is corrupted.  The drive must be formatted, do the following:
1. Attempt to access and recover (back-up) the failing hard disk drive.
2. Using the operating systems programs, format the hard disk drive.
3. Go to Preparing the Hard Disk Drive for Use.  

The drive is defective.  Replace the hard disk drive.  
---------------------

I suspect the drive is not well configured (master/slave) and that the start-up drive is not in the boot sequence in configuration. Hit <F10> during power up to enter BIOS setup on most IBMs.

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: