MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Sound Problems
November 13, 2019, 11:42:00 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 13, 2019, 11:42:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sound Problems  (Read 1638 times)
BlueTrin

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2003, 05:40:43 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows XP Professional
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Sound blaster live value.

I recently built a new computer. Shuttle MB AK38N, Win XP and a Soundblaster Live Value card. The onboard sound from the motherboard was terrible , so I went ahead and bought the SB. The sound was great and dandy, but after restarting my computer once, the sound went away and wouldn't work at all.
I've done all of the following:
-Checked the cables running from my computer to my speakers and surround sound, cables are fine, and functional.
-Put the connector in the onboard sound to see if I would get anything (to figure out if it was the SB card or something else), I still got nothing.
-Reinstalled my win xp drivers for the sound card.
-Checked all my volumn controls. Nothing was on mute
-Checked to see if my sound card was set as the default, it was.
-Verified that my sound device is turned on via device manager. Good to go.
-Ran a system restore to the day before.

Still nothing.

Since I got nothing with the onboard sound card as well as the SB sound card, I'm thinking it has something to do with settings. It just baffles me since all I did was restart the computer and things were changing. Do you have any other ideas or recommendations for my problem? All help is greatly (I put a huge emphasis on greatly) appreciated.

"So what are we going to do tonight, Brain?" "Same thing we do every night....try to take over the world!"
BlueTrin

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2003, 08:11:57 PM »

I did a virus scan and everything was clean. Also, I disabled my onboard audio to see what would happen. Nothing. It's looking more and more like the OS.

"So what are we going to do tonight, Brain?" "Same thing we do every night....try to take over the world!"
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2003, 03:17:37 PM »

Hi,

Are there any devices in a device type "Other Devices" in Device Manager?

Check the "Audio" tab of the "Sounds and Audio Devices" applet in the Control Panel. Make sure your default playback device is the new sound card.

Also check options on the "Volume" tab to make sure the volume level is indeed up or not muted.

The "Hardware" tab will tell you if the device is working properly by selecting the listed devices one by one.

Make sure the old sound card devices are removed from "Device Manager".

If all checks out, test you speaker on another PC (maybe a friend's PC...)

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
BlueTrin

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2003, 04:31:51 AM »

Checked it all, still no go.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2003, 07:43:19 PM »

Hi,

Have you tested your speaker on another system?

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
BlueTrin

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2003, 05:38:53 PM »

I was right about the OS, I finally got the sound to work. (Was I writhing with joy? Oh I was screaming)

All of the hardware worked fine individually, but for some reason it wasn't working all together. Compatibility was fine with everything according to the manufactures. So I reinstalled windows, reinstalled the drivers, and voila, everything works fine now.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2003, 06:13:49 PM »

That's great! Grin

Thanks for the update! Cool

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: