MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Internet & Email arrow Topic: The Dreaded Red X's
November 18, 2019, 05:53:05 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2019, 05:53:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Dreaded Red X's  (Read 1498 times)
Raindancer

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2003, 07:02:59 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Windows XP Home
Hi,
Can someone please help with my problem?
I've been using Stationery with OE6, until I updated to the Build 1123, I had no problems, now, however, I'm getting Red X's where the images should be. i.e. the first image embeds ok, subsequent ones don't! I did un-install OE6 and re-installed it, but got the same Build back, is there any way around this? Thanks

**R**
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2003, 03:45:33 PM »

Hi,

Check to see if it's looking at the right place when the stationary doesn't work.

Format > Apply Stationary > More Stationary...
Is it still looking in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Stationery"

Are the image files even there (check through Windows Explorer)

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Raindancer

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2003, 03:54:47 PM »

Hi,
thanks for replying.
Yes, the Stationery is where it's supposed to be.
The Stationery presents fine until after I send. I always preview before sending, those pictures are fine then. I use Stationery a lot, and why I happen to know this problem did not occur until I updated the Build from Microsoft. It also happens when I make my own Stationery, the first picture embeds ok, if I try and use the same picture again I get the Red X where the 2nd picture should be.

**R**
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2003, 04:06:16 PM »

Hi,

Check the source to see if you can spot a problem of one of the messages with the red X (before sending):

1. View > Source Edit
2. This will add tabs at the bottom of the message
3. Select the Source tab

Look at the <body> tag to see if something if incorrect.

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Raindancer

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2003, 04:13:32 PM »

Hi,
I use those tabs all the time. I can't see anything untoward there at all, the best way to see what is really happening, is to maybe send you one of the Stats, it's driving me nuts.
I've checked my Outlook settings over and over, I DO know those are fine.
After using Stats for over 3 years it isn't as if I'm a novice, lol.
Thanks for trying to help, it IS appreciated.

**R**
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2003, 07:20:50 PM »

Raindancer REPLIED:
quote:
Hi,
This is the reply I gave someone with the same problem as I was experiencing.

**As I suspected, this is a bug that was introduced with the last security update. Go to Help | About and check the last four digits of the build number. Build 1123 is affected, unfortunately there is no way to uninstall that update.

This actually is the same bug that I've noticed before. What happens with the bug I noticed is this: when you save an attachment from an email or news posting, OE is supposed to write the location you saved it into the registry so that location will come up as the default next time you save an attachment. With the newest update what's happening is when it writes that location it's truncating the last character, so instead of c:\pictures it's writing c:\picture. If the truncated location doesn't actually exist on your drive then it defaults to c:\My Documents.

That's similar to what's going on with the cids. When OE is writing the cid of a duplicate image it's truncating the last digit, resulting in an invalid cid.

Given that, your options are limited, you can either just live with it and wait until MS gets around to fixing it with a new update. You could re-install your system from scratch and just not install the 1123 update (I wouldn't recommend doing this, it's probably not worth the bother). .

Personally I'd be likely to just wait.

Hope that helps**

So I DO know what is happening within Outlook, just not how to put it right ... yet!
Anne.

Thank you for sharing your findings with us! Grin

Sylvain Amyot

Raindancer

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2003, 07:38:50 PM »

You're very welcome.

So, is there any way I can remove this Build and replace it with another? Please. Bear in mind I have un-installed OE6, without success, for some reason I get the same Build back.
Microsoft are aware of this yet haven't resolved it to my knowledge.

**R**
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: