MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: cd rom drive
December 08, 2019, 07:38:41 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 08, 2019, 07:38:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: cd rom drive  (Read 3294 times)
spireite

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2003, 07:57:08 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

os Win95
cd mitsumi 4820T
motherboard gigabyte ind GA5AX

Hi all
I am not a computer wizz so please be gentle with me.
I am trying to add a cd rom drive to my inlaws old pc.
It has been recognised by win and is in device manager
The problem is no matter how I install it i.e. Slave to HDD on IDE 1
or master on IDE 2 the pc boots ok but then grinds to a halt if I try to access the cd drive. If I disconnect the cd drive and boot then abort the cannot find cd I lose my cd drive but the pc works fine. Please help and if you start talking msdos be gentle
Thanks

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2003, 04:42:34 PM »

Hi,

First try putting the cdrom drive as SLAVE alone on the secondary IDE channel (IDE 2). Some drives work better this way!??!??!

If this doesn't do it, I would boot off a Windows 98 Startup disk (assuming that is the version you're running) and select the option to load cdrom support. Check to see what drive letter is assigned to your cdrom drive when the drivers load.

Then once at the a: prompt, type 'X:' <ENTER> (no quotes) - where X is the drive letter you saw assigned to it.
Then insert a cd and then type 'dir' <ENTER> (no quote)

If the system still has problems reading CDs and locks up, then the drive may be defective. If all works fine, then the problem is with Windows.

Let me know and we can go from there.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
spireite

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2003, 07:41:49 PM »

Hi Admin
Thanks for reply
Connected cdrom as slave on IDE 2, it was recognised on boot up as BIOS is on auto and no luck.
My os is windows 95 and I have a system recovery disk similar to a 98 startup disk but it only has "Load CD device driver and not Load CD support.
The cdrom works perfectly back in the PC from whence it came.
I have got a windows 98 disk, do you recommend I load that and follow your instructions?

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2003, 08:13:43 PM »

Hi,

The Win98 Startup disk added DOS drivers for cdrom drive which the Win95 Startup disk didn't have. If you have a Win98 Startup disk, try it out to test the cdrom drive.

If you don't have one, you can download one from http://koti.mbnet.fi/~nibz/bootdisks/boot98se.exe (http://www.bootdisk.com)

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
spireite

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2003, 07:23:34 AM »

Hi admin
Downloaded windows98 startup disc from the link.
Booted computer with disc loaded and chose cdrom support, at the prompt I typed x <enter> and got the message
not ready reading drive e Abort Retry Fail.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2003, 04:11:34 PM »

Hi,

I am assuming you saw the cdrom drive letter assigned to be E: and that you typed 'e:' at the prompt and you had a cd in the drive, right?

Sylvain Amyot

spireite

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2003, 05:18:27 PM »

Sorry, yes the drive letter assigned was drive E, and Oooops
this time I put a cd in the cdrom and it recognised it without hesitation. Does that mean my windows 95 OS is at fault? and if so can I load win 98 SE without out backing up my files or will the new OS delete them.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2003, 01:03:00 PM »

Hi,

Can you check "Device Manager" and let me know if you have any devices with a yellow dot and exclamation mark. Since the problem appears to be with Windows, lets try to fix it.

Upgrading to Win98 is not a guaranty the problem will be fixed but if you want to try, then get a copy of Win98 Upgrade, then you can upgrade Win95 and not loose anything but if you have an OEM version of Win98, then setup will complain you already have an OS and quit.

Make sure you get a Win98 Upgrade CD and you should be fine.

Sylvain Amyot

spireite

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2003, 07:08:57 PM »

Hi
In device manager there are two devices that are showing the yellow exclamation.
Mitsumi CD Rom Controller unit
Standard IDE/ESDI Hard disk controller

ChrisTechUK

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2003, 12:20:10 PM »

Now i don't know how old the system is, but try checking in the BIOS to make sure all resources are controlled by ESCD. If they are set to manual then you are probably experiencing a conflict somewhere. To do this, try the following.

When you start up the machine 'tap' the delete key on the keyboard. Not bacdkspace, but delete. It is located above the arrow keys. You should be greeted by a blue screen normally with a list of options. Using the arrow keys and the <enter> key, navigate through the menus and look for an option that looks somthing like this.

"Resources Controlled By :   Manual"
or
"Resources Controlled By :   Auto(ESCD)"

If this is set to manual then change it and reboot your computer. Check in control panel again and see if the conflict is there. If it is, remove the IDE Controller and click on the "Refresh" Button. This should reinstall the controller and possible solve the problem.

When you remove the CD/ROM does the conflict disapear?

~Chris

"What do you mean I put the fan on backwards?"
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2003, 12:57:25 PM »

Hi,

Also try this:

1. Copy this file to your hard drive, rename it to "noide.inf", right click the file and select "Install".
2. Reboot
3. Let me know if this fixed your problem.

Click here to download the attachment.

When you get to the screen that looks like this:

Select the link below to download the file

noide.txt

Close Window

Right click the link and select "Save target as...", find a location on your hard drive and rename it noide.inf, then click on the save button.

Sylvain Amyot

spireite

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2003, 07:25:51 PM »

Hi all
Firstly all settings are on auto.
I removed the IDE controller from Device Manager and rebooted.
If you mean by conflict have I got a yellow circle and exclamation mark then yes I had on both CDRom and IDE Controller or Neither when CDRom unplugged. When I rebooted, Windows wanted to re install my IDE Controller but keeps crashing looking for the driver.
I also saved the Noid.text and renamed it noid.inf, and still no luck.
I now think it's time I backed up my files, undertook an fdisk and loaded Windows 98 SE.
I will let you know how it went (or rather ask you all for more help when it goes all wrong).

ChrisTechUK

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2003, 09:17:13 AM »

Good luck with the reinstall. Let us know how it goes?

"What do you mean I put the fan on backwards?"
spireite

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2003, 07:10:33 AM »

Hi All
Sorry for the delay, but I've been working away from home.
I did a fdisk with my win98 startup disk and then a format, the format told me I had 17 bad sectors on my hard drive and that the data on them was not recoverable, it then fixed it so that the bad sectors would not be written to in the future.
Loaded win98 SE and all the hardware and software and hey presto!!!! Everything is just perfect, I wonder if the initial problem was unrecoverable data on a bad sector of the hd that has now been fixed? Anyway thanks for all your help.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2003, 01:34:14 AM »

Hi,

It is very possible bad sectors caused your problem!

Thank you for letting us know how things turned out! Grin

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: