MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Takes 3 Reset button presses to startup Win
November 18, 2019, 11:58:26 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2019, 11:58:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Takes 3 Reset button presses to startup Win  (Read 1756 times)
Moshebagelfresser

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2003, 07:02:24 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Windows 2000 Pro
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Pentium 2 400 mhz 2 hd's mbta6a intel motherboard.
Error Messages:

I have to press the restart button 3 times in order for the computer to activate and select Microsoft Windows 2000 pro in dos selection computer startup after Bios display etc., Recently installed a new power supply box. Any ideas I attach the office doc showing present Bios settings.

Download Attachment: Bios details-06072003.doc 33.23 KB
Right click and select Save Target As... then rename the file as shown here and save.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2003, 04:20:16 PM »

Hi,

You're system should power on regardless of BIOS settings.

Make sure all cards, memory and CPU are well seated in their slots/sockets
Make sure all ribbon cables and power connectors are also well secured.
If the power supply connects to the motherboard via small cables, make sure they're in the correct pegs.

Why was the previous power supply replaced?

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Moshebagelfresser

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2003, 04:51:38 PM »

You asked me why I replaced the Power Supply I was warned by Windows that the CD rom drive was disconnected. On checking the connection it blew! Bang it appears to have shorted out. Another parculiar thing is that the chasis of the computer when touched with a tester screwdriver lights up. Interesting that you ask me check and see if all the cables are firmly attached to the motherboard. Even after the power supply was replaced the 3 time press the reset button is to activate the rest of the boot up is needed. Thank you most kindly for your prompt advise, which I will carry out.
Moshebagelfresser
mbrace71@yahoo.co.uk

Moshebagelfresser

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2003, 04:55:22 PM »

Could there be a connection between the fact that the installed Ram is the 2 nearest slots to the CPU contain PC100 Mhz Ram the 3rd farthest away from the CPU has 128 MB PC133Mhz. Total Ram 327MB.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2003, 05:52:28 PM »

Hi,

I don't think the memory could cause this but to make sure you could remove all modules except one.

Did you double check the small power supply cable going to the motherboard, which is used to power on the system, is connected properly and on the correct pegs?

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Moshebagelfresser

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2003, 04:13:27 PM »

Where would I find this wire that you talk about, secondly at the bottom of the mother board see attachment there are connections below the bios I firmly pressed them home a flat wire 4 or 5 colors. Then by it is a white connector looks like twisted wires. How should this thin wire be connected? There is a tiny white connector which looks similar to jumpers. It has a divider pins either side of the divider. Can you sketch a diagram or do you perhaps have a picture? I know this a tall order. But...

Download Attachment: Intel M6TBA motherboard.jpg 239.81 KB
Right click and select Save Target As... then rename the file as shown here and save.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2003, 07:41:16 PM »

Hi,

Take a look at your motherboard manual. See page 1-21 to 1-23 (depending on your motherboard rev version) for connectors placement. Pin 10 and 11 (for all rev) should have a small two cable connector into it coming from the power supply. If your power supply doesn't have one, make sure it is an ATX power supply.

M6TBA Motherboard Manual

Sylvain Amyot

Moshebagelfresser

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2003, 05:22:55 PM »

Wait for it you will not believe the solution. I got hold of a standard serial port generic mouse, unplugged the Generic Ps/2 one and heypresto problem solved. Originally I had this type of mouse, however, due to ware and tare it died. So I bought a PS/2 wheel mouse plugged it into the ps2 port for a long time this worked. The second one died so I bought a wheel mouse. With attaching the serial mouse boot up instantaneous. Now I am wondering whether I can use my wheel mouse with an adapter Serial to Ps/2. What do you think. This is such a unique experience I thought that you needed to know the solution. It could be that the Motherboard cannot handle 2 ps/2 items, i.e. keyboard and mouse together.
Moshe
Many thanks for the good advice, boot up is fast and clean.

Moshebagelfresser

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2003, 05:29:49 PM »

Because this is a unique occurrence I posted the reply. It appears that there is such a thing as non compatible periferal hardware. I remember when I got the computer new I was warned that Serial Port was preferred for mouse use. Maybe the computer store slung me a damaged motherboard. However, it has been checked out by several technicians who came to the conclusion that it is in perfect working condition, and the computer is very fast for a 400 mhz.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2003, 02:17:49 PM »

That's great! Glad you got your problem solved! Grin

Thank you for letting us know how you resolved it!

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: