MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Application Problems arrow Topic: firewall not working , preventing internet access
September 17, 2019, 11:58:32 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 17, 2019, 11:58:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: firewall not working , preventing internet access  (Read 1963 times)
nordic

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2003, 07:41:57 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:windows xp home edtion
Problem Application Name & Version:tiny personal firewall 2.0.15
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:C:\Program\Tiny Personal Firewall\persfw.exe PfVarLibInit: var_server_starterror: 1 (10091: socket() failed)

I have unistalled and reinstalled the firewall but I keep getting same error message everytime my computer starts , plus the creators of the software have been sent numerous emails and no response . I need to know how to fix this so I can avoid erasing my hard drive and reinstalling the operating system . Lips Sealed

ChrisTechUK

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2003, 09:51:47 AM »

Mmm, ditch that program. I had nothing but problems. It seems to make it's own rules and that is not a good thing. Try using ZoneAlarm or Norton Firewall. Both of these are much more reliable. I personally use a linux box as a gateway and use ipchains and all the other goodies. But thats not the cheapest way Smiley

~Chris

"What do you mean I put the fan on backwards?"
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2003, 02:20:12 PM »

Hi,

Check out msconfig's "Startup" tab and verify if there is still anything loading for Tiny.

Start > Run
Type 'MSCONFIG' (no quotes)
Hit OK

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2003, 01:46:54 PM »

MOVED FROM OTHER THREAD (nordic):
quote:
Maybe I wasn't clear enough on my last posting. My firewall is not allowing me to access the internet I have unistalled the firewall but I still can't access the internet. With the firewall installed I keep getting an error message "C:\Program\Tiny Personal Firewall\persfw.exe PfVarLibInit: var_server_starterror: 1 (10091: socket() failed)" everytime my computer starts and the firewall won't run, plus the creators of the software have been sent numerous emails and no response. I need to know how to fix this problem so I can avoid erasing my hard drive and reinstalling the operating system so I can access the internet again.

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2003, 01:54:14 PM »

Hi,

You seem to have a very old version of Tiny Personal Firewall! I would try to install the latest version (v4.5) to see if this problem goes away.
http://www.tinysoftware.com/home/tiny2?s=2153683947221192530A15&la=EN&va=&pg=solo_download

Sylvain Amyot

nordic

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2003, 01:43:28 AM »

quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Hi,

You seem to have a very old version of Tiny Personal Firewall! I would try to install the latest version (v4.5) to see if this problem goes away.
http://www.tinysoftware.com/home/tiny2?s=2153683947221192530A15&la=EN&va=&pg=solo_download

Maybe you didn't fully understand my problem. I can not access the internet through my computer since the firewall is not allowing access to the internet. So trying to download the latest version would be useless. Obviously no one knows how to read these postings because the responses I have been given don't even relate to my problem, so I will have to erase my hard drive and reinstall my operating system which is what I was trying to avoid but since no one cause give me a decent response I guess that is my last resort.

thanks

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2003, 02:25:10 AM »

Hi,

Excuse me! I understand your problem just fine and gave you two suggestions to help you out! You obviously didn't check what is loading using msconfig and since you're replying to my posts, you obviously have access to the internet somewhere, where you could download the latest version and maybe burn to CD or copy to floppy (not sure how big the file is) and bring it over to your system.

What I was suggesting is to upgrade your old version with a new one that supports WinXP in the hope that it will fix this problem and give you back access. Most likely the uninstaller for Tiny is not removing all it's registry entries and is still blocking your access to the internet. You can also try removing the registry entry for Tiny under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software". But if you don't want to go through the troubleshooting process with us, then reinstall your OS.

I am reading your posts just fine! Are you?

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: