MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Application Problems arrow Topic: Corrupt System Restore/No net connection...
August 26, 2019, 12:48:06 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 26, 2019, 12:48:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
12th Anniversary Celebrating 12 Years! (1997 - 2009) 12th Anniversary
Thanks to ALL that make this site what it is!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Corrupt System Restore/No net connection...  (Read 1116 times)
sebber

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2003, 11:16:02 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows XP
Problem Application Name & Version: System Restore (general speed of system too!), Broadband
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages: Error 1707; "There are no system restore points"

Hi there,

I'm not sure this is the relevant forum, but I'm in urgent need of help as my PC has gone belly-up!

My six-month old PC ran into some major probs last night. I was browsing the internet (Broadband) as normal but, when I logged off and tried to reconnect later, it continually connected at 500 BYTES per second. In other words, it never connected to any sites. I tinkered with the PC but to no avail. I still cannot connect to the Internet. Additionally, the PC has been running really slowly and keeps freezing. Usually, it's like lightning and has never lagged.

I've managed to improve things slightly by deleting some spyware which somehow got on to the PC (even though I dled no software/progs/videos/anything yesterday). I would naturally think that this is some prob with the Broadband service (I've had probs with it before). BUT....when I attempted a System Restore, it listed no restore points. Moreover, I cannot connect to the internet AT ALL.

I have Windows XP, Athlon 2400 and 512 Ram. The PC was purchased from Time Computers in the UK and, until now, has been glitch-free.

Whenever I have had any probs, I just use System Restore (always bailed me out). However, even though I had created 8 restore points and have always been able to use that function (as well as the PC automatically creating a restore point every night at Midnight), there is no easy way to get the PC back to what it was. It did work perfectly before whatever went wrong last night (and my virus software detected some sort of glitch in "System Restore").

I have created two new System Restores for yesterday and Today. It has, to be fair, logged these. However, that would obviously only restore the PC to its glitchy state. I just don't want to lose everything....All previous restore points appear to have been wiped from the system

The only probs I'm having are freezing, the internet not working at all and the McAfee Virus Software wasn't responding at all until I "repaired" it. I can still use the PC, although it's clearly run into probs and is suddenly very slow to respond (not shutting down properly, taking AGES to load up progs etc.)

Am I missing something obvious? Is there ANYTHING I can do to get the restore points back? Is it possible to "restore" the computer to what it was using something like the Bios??

I could understand this better if I knew I downloaded or deleted anything vital...

Anything you can suggest would be an *enormous* help as I've wasted HOURS and have only some improvement to show for it...

Paul

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2003, 01:45:38 PM »

Hi,

Sounds to me like a virus/worm. Is your Mcafee up to date?

Try booting up in Startup Diagnostics Mode to rule out any software causing you these problems.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
sebber

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2003, 10:25:28 AM »

Thanks for the reply!

I tried the System Diagnostic. Before doing that, I had managed to get the computer running "ok". The diagnostic did not fix the problem. In fact, there appeared to be some sort of untraceable worm working its way through the PC. I had the brand new Virusscan Pro, but it found no worms and I had to delete it, as it kept starting on startup and forcing the PC to lag. The System Restore also stopped working again and completely deleted all the restore points I'd created since last Monday (when the PC first glitched)..

I was left with no choice but to restore the PC to factory setting. Since it's only 7 months old and I managed to back up all my important files, that wasn't as big a deal as I'd anticipated...

Thanks very much for your help. I'm relieved that the PC is running again and I can start with a clean state!

Paul

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2003, 12:24:13 PM »

That's great! Glad to hear it! Grin

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: