MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Computer Related Discussions arrow General Discussions arrow Topic: Very slow after faulty win 2k install
October 18, 2019, 06:58:37 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 18, 2019, 06:58:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Very slow after faulty win 2k install  (Read 1084 times)
ishbooisland

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2003, 04:59:51 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:dos
Problem Application Name & Version:none
Problem Hardware Make & Model:none
Error Messages:none

Hi, i have a 166mhz 64 megs of ram 27 gig hd computer that lately, has been going snail slow. It all started after i went to upgrade win me to win 2k with the installer cd, for information sake i will tell you i made it so that it would make the hd ntfs. Once it was done installing and booted up to configure devices it kept stopping in the same place and restarting.. so naturaly i thought there was something wrong. So i fdisked the hd made a new primary dos partition, and formatted it after restarting. I thought all was well till i started installing win me, when starting the installer was going very sloooowwww i mean really, it said it was going to take 207 mins to install... ok thats a little dumb dont you think? i have installed amny osses b4 and usually win me takes about 45 mins at the most. I thought maybe the cd was just dirty so i put in my win 98 se cd, it had no scratches on it that would make it not readable. So once again i tried to start the installer, this one was a little faster but only by about 20 mins (seeing as it is a smaller os) so it said it was going to take about 180 mins... now thats still very wrong... but being the pretty patient man i am i let it go. I sat through the 3 hours of installation until it was finished. Win 98 booted up fine... took a while... but still fine. But nothing ran fast, i couldnt even run simple mp3s, which had never been a problem at all b4. Everything was slow even loading programs. So i fdisked again lol, and thats where i am now.. with nothing but a boot disk. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

ish

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2003, 02:08:27 PM »

Hi,

I would make sure all your fans are spinning, CPU fan and chassie fans.
Make sure all your cards, cpu and memory are well seated in their slots/sockets.

If the system has a turbo button, make sure it is on. Usually doesn't affect Pentium systems but your motherboard may have had such "feature"

Take note of your BIOS setting (especially hard drive parameters and COM ports) and run the "Load Optimized Default" option (or something similar, depends on BIOS)

Let me know how this turns out.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
ishbooisland

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2003, 02:48:30 PM »

Thank you thank you thank you thank you! Finally someone who knows what they are doing, the load optimal defaults fixed it, now im up to the 64 minute standar for installing windows, thanks a lot man. I have posted in three froums and no body suggested that.. your a genious lol. Thanks again;D

ish

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: