MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Black screen w/ cursor after adding memory
December 05, 2019, 09:11:18 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 05, 2019, 09:11:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Black screen w/ cursor after adding memory  (Read 1429 times)
NYPatriot

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2003, 03:58:56 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Huh?
System Information  
Operating System: Windows 98 (He says, HD label reads GW2k)
Computer Make: Gateway (2000 G6-233)
Processor: 233 MHz MMX Pentium II
Memory: 32 MB PC66
Screen Resolution: 800 by 600
Web Browser: IE 5
Other Information:
 Installed hardware is as follows; Intel AL440LX mobo w/ a Pentium II 233MHz MMX cpu, 32MB of PC66 memory, Quantum SE 6.4GB UATA HDD, Mitsumi 13X/32X IDE CD-ROM, Panasonic 1.44MB FDD, STB 4MB AGP vid. card, Esoniq Audio PCI Wavetable snd. card, USR Telepath X2 PnP modem for Windows and a 200W PS. The serial number (0009563420). This PC is in original form from Gateway except for Win98? has been installed.
 The problem is as follows; My friend wanted to install more memory. I have assorted PC100 which is compatable. I installed two sticks of 64MB in the open slots. When I turn the PC on the bios screen showed that there was 159MB of mem. After the bios screen a message was flashed that the OS could not be found. I shut it down and and checked the connections at the HD. Power connector wasn't in.( never let friend help while working on PC's). After powering up again bios read same, but then went to black screen w/ flashing cursor. I pulled his HD and slaved it in my PC. HD fine. I installed my slave HD w/ Win98SE in his, no go. Restarted and entered bios. All looked good, then back to black. All I get is a single beep out of the Phoenix code. I checked the cpu by touch and it didn't get very warm. I pulled all cards but the vid. and tried again. Nada. I tried booting w/ a Win98 boot floppy disk. Zip.  Any ideas? Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2003, 02:13:01 PM by NYPatriot » Logged

Can you feel the energy flow from the source? Are you at peace within?
Do you hear the beat of life?
If so reach out and accept the truth. (-<)
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2003, 12:15:06 PM »

Hi,

If you remove the new memory, does the system boot?

If it does, try putting the new memory by itself in the first bank. Does it still work? If so, putt the old memory on the second bank.

Also make sure the hard drive parameters are correct in the BIOS setup. Try the auto-detect feature to see if the BIOS recognizes the drive.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
NYPatriot

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2003, 02:07:31 PM »

Huh?
Moved memory around plus set the original back. HD is recognized. The only thing that I noticed in the DMI events log were several keyboards not recognized ( I assume these were from earlier dates ) and memory reduced. If the CPU was bad I don't believe anything would occur? It has no fan and I can place my finger on it without detecting
very little temp. My o'clocked Slot A 'Bird w/ a AOC K7 Monster HS/F is warmer at 33C.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2003, 12:45:19 PM »

Hi,

If I understand correctly, you have resolved your problem, right?

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
NYPatriot

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2003, 02:14:36 PM »

None of that worked so this morning I pulled all cables and PS connectors and reinserted them. I then pulled the cpu and reinstalled that. I also moved the HD jumper to factory default position. When I started the PC w/ a Win98 boot disk it went through the bios but didn't show HD, but it fanally went to another screen w/ a  statement about Win98 not recognizing Fat & Fat32 then several causes. I shut it down and pulled boot disk. Restarted-bios-no HD-OS not found. Shut down and moved jumper back to original position. Restart and it booted! Pure luck on my part. I thank you very much for the help.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2003, 02:16:18 PM »

Hi,

That's great! Glad you got it working! Grin

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: