MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Security & Viruses arrow Topic: Can't reinstall Windows after crash....
July 19, 2019, 02:30:47 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 19, 2019, 02:30:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can't reinstall Windows after crash....  (Read 1360 times)
Heck75nj

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2003, 06:28:49 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: WIN98 or XP
Problem Application Name & Version: Cant reinstall Windows
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages: " Windows protection error. You must restart your computer"

My PC crashed a few days ago. I formatted the hard disk on another PC and put it back on. Everytime I try to install WIN98 I get a system error right after the screen "Running Windows 98 for the first time" it says "Windows protection error. You must restart your computer". I tried installing XP and I get an error when copying one of the files into the system. I had Windows XP pro. running when my PC first crashed.
Is this a virus?...what's wrong?  Please Help!!:(

Thank you
Hector

denn

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2003, 08:08:42 PM »

It could be problems with the hard drive, or it could be two incompatible devices.  I would try isolating the problem first, just to make sure.  If you still have the other PC available, that would help a great deal.

Install the drive on the other PC and do a full scandisk, if OK, then try to install windows on it from the other computer, just as a test installation.  If problem continues, keep trying to diagnose the problem with the hard drive and it's setup (partitions/file systems/etc...).

If problem disappears, try to diagnose your PC.  It's seems like it's crashing when it's trying to detect some of the installed hardware, so reinstall with the absolute minimum hardware connected to get the PC to operate.  (remove modems, network cards, sound cards, etc...)  Also, reset the BIOS to default settings at this point.  If everything is still good, install one device at a time, and install devices incrementally.

IT's not a quick solution, so good luck.

Heck75nj

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2003, 08:36:03 PM »

Hey thanks a lot for answering. I'm gonna try what u told me, I already did a full scan on the drive and it seems fine. I tried another hard disk but I would still get that error. Someone told me it might be something wrong with BIOS and that I needed to reconfigurate it, take the battery off and reset it but I dont know how to do that.

Thanks!

denn

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2003, 09:34:16 PM »

You don't necessarily need to remove the battery, unless you think it's dying, and want it replaced.  A dying battery will not keep accurate time, and your bios settings could be reset from time to time.  There should be an option in the BIOS menu to reset to "BIOS defaults" or "SETUP defaults".   Setup defaults are more optimized for speed, bootup time, etc... and usually work fine as a default set, but in the case of troubleshooting, you should try "BIOS defaults", they are a safer bet.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2003, 01:44:03 AM »

Hi,

Sounds like flacky memory to me.

HOW TO - Test your system memory?

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: