MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: windows 98
June 19, 2019, 01:10:43 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2019, 01:10:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: windows 98  (Read 1415 times)
STEVIE08

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2003, 10:45:40 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:windows 98 se
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

my windows 98 has become corrupted a friend reinstalled windows over the top of the old one but now most of my programs are unstable and either crash or just freeze my pc .Now the sound wont work but everything checks out ok.All my drivers are in place and were working fine .
the only thing i can think off is to format the hard drive now and reinstall every thing unless anyone has any other ideas please .
        Thanks

lbtanny

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2003, 02:21:29 PM »

Try to do a scan reg restore in safe mode.  Restore to time when all was working.

Moshebagelfresser

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2003, 06:30:54 PM »

When you install Win98 over a previous copy, the corrupt files are never removed. If you can back up your personal files and have the origianl installation disks. i.e. screen card, sound card, modem, printer, then reformat C:\ A good idea although discouraged today with the new hard disks is to partition the hard drive with Partition Magic then move over your personal files. Also if using Outlook Express export your address book before formatting to another folder, copy to diskete, or attach it and mail it to a free e-mail box in www.yahoo.co.uk that way you can download it back after formatting.
Good look. Moshe.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2003, 01:06:27 PM »

Hi,

Are you still experiencing problems with this?
Can you give us an update?

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
STEVIE08

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2003, 09:41:05 PM »

I am back online and operational again.I solved my problems by formating my hard drive and installing windows xp ,everything seems to be working okay now i think when windows98 was reinstalled the same corrupt files were left behind and just carried on crashing everything.Also a program i was using fix it utilities was deleting too many files causing no end off problems so i havent put that back on and im not sure if i will reinstall it again.
Anyway thank you everyone for your help and advice it was much appreciated
           thanks
                  stevie08

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2003, 01:12:46 PM »

Hi,

That's great! Glad you got your problem resolved! Grin

You should find WinXP to be more stable!

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: