MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Networking Problems arrow Topic: Network slow to configure
August 25, 2019, 12:25:46 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 25, 2019, 12:25:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Help us help you! Help us help you by helping out! The more people know about us, the more help will be available. Click here to find out how...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Network slow to configure  (Read 2579 times)
Hurdy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2003, 10:27:52 AM »

Hi,

I recently networked 2 PCs through a router.

XP Home and Win98 SE with Netgear DG814.

I am new to networking and used the set up wizard to configure everything.

The problem is that it takes several minutes for the network to configure itself each time I switch on the PCs.

I checked the Event Viewer on The XP PC and it shows scores of errors which read :-

"Source DHCP
Type Warning
Event ID 1003

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address B61000180C01.  The following error occurred:
The operation was canceled by the user. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server."

I tried the M$ link but it said that it was an unknown error or some such thing.

When the network is finally up and running there are no problems and the internet connection is also good.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Hurdy

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2003, 07:14:03 PM »

Hi,

The network interface card (NIC) drivers may be different for Win98 and WinXP. I would check Netgear's website and download the latest drivers for each Windows version and update them.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Hurdy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2003, 10:00:04 AM »

Hi

Netgear website doesn't mention drivers only firmware.
Is this the same?

Hurdy

Hurdy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2003, 09:07:22 AM »

Hi

Uploaded the latest firmware.
No difference, just have to live with it I suppose.

Hurdy

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2003, 04:24:00 PM »

Hi,

I am assuming your router has a DHCP server built-in and that is where the IPs are being handed out. If that is the case, check the router settings especially if it also has a built-in firewall.

You may also want to try assigning static IPs to your workstations instead of using DHCP.

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Hurdy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2003, 07:03:19 PM »

Hi

Hope you had a nice holiday.

The two PCs were connected by on board LAN and NIC.The on board connection light was flickering intermittently so I decided to use a NIC in that PC as well.No more problems,the PCs are both netorked within a minute on power up.I can only assume that there was a problem with the on board LAN.

The only error message I receive now is

IPv6  Internet Connection Service terminated with service specific error 2147942527 (0x8007007F)

Hurdy

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2003, 12:37:58 PM »

Hi,

Glad to hear you got your network working! Grin
I had a great holiday! Thanks for asking! Cool

IPv6 is a new IP Stack version. Microsoft's help states:

quote:
The IPv6 software supplied in this release contains prerelease code and is not intended for commercial use. This software is made available for research, development, and testing only and must never be used in a production environment. Microsoft is not responsible for your use of the code or for the results from your use of the code, and Microsoft does not provide any level of technical support for IPv6 in this release. Peer support is available from the microsoft.public.platformssdk.networking.ipv6 newsgroup found at msnews.microsoft.com.
I am not sure how you got it installed since the only way I found was to run a command at the command prompt. Anyways the info I found in WinXP's help to remove it is to run 'ipv6 uninstall' (no quotes) at a command prompt.

Search for IPv6 in Winxp's help for more info.

Sylvain Amyot

Hurdy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2003, 10:15:27 PM »

Hi again

I don't know where IPv6 came from but I do know that when I uninstalled it more error messages were logged stating there were problems because it wasn't found!

So I just re-installed it Smiley

Hurdy

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2003, 11:14:21 PM »

That's great! Glad you got all your problems solved! Cool

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: