MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Networking Problems arrow Topic: Network cable unplugged
July 17, 2019, 09:40:23 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 17, 2019, 09:40:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Network cable unplugged  (Read 4119 times)
scruffy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2003, 07:23:15 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

I'm networking 2 computers only. The host is running winxp the other win2000, both have ethernet cards, I've connected both ethernet cards with cat5 cable. The problem is I can't get to first base as the networking icon next to the clock has a red cross through it on both computers and tells me the network cable is unplugged. I'm not new to computers but new to networking. Can someone please help me from loosing anymore hair Grin and help me out. THANKS.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2003, 03:05:35 PM »

Hi,

If you're connecting both system without a hub, from one NIC to the other, then you need a CAT5 Cross-Over cable and not a Straight-Through cable (which would be used to connect to a hub)

If you only plan to network two systems, then buy a cross-over cable (somethings referred to as hub-to-hub cable). If down the road you will connect a third system, then keep your straight through cable and buy a hub.

If you plan on having both systems share one internet connection, then buy a cable/DSL router if that is what you're using to connect to the internet. If you're using a modem, then use a hub and Windows Internet Connection Sharing (search for ICS in Windows help)

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
scruffy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2003, 05:51:06 PM »

I'm using cat5 crossover cable from one nic to the other. I'm not using either a hub or router. I have dailup modem. THANK for your reply.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2003, 04:45:58 PM »

Hi,

Are you still experiencing problems with this?
Can you give us an update?

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
dawnchorus

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2003, 06:10:19 PM »

Hi, I am new to PC & Internet. I am using a nic, ADSL modem to connect my desktop to Internet. I always encounter a problem "network cable is unplugged" after a while when I am connected to the Internet. When this happened I have check all the cable connection, and it's OK. The ethernet LED on the modem shows that the LAN network is not connected and intermittenly off.

I have try to connect the another laptop to the ASDL modem to the net and it proves fine. This shows that the modem and the ISP shouldn't causing the problem, doesn't it?

If the problem is due to the nic, wht should I do beside replace the nic? For your info, I am using repotec RP-1624 nic, Aztech ADSL Ethernet modem, Win XP Pro.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2003, 03:43:12 PM »

Hi,

I would check the NIC properties to see if you have the option to set to 100/Full Duplex or set to AUTO Negotiate. Try setting to AUTO if already set to 100/Full Duplex and vise versa.

Make sure you have the latest drivers for you NIC

Yes, since the connection works with the laptop and all is fine then the problem is with the system/nic

Sylvain Amyot

woutie

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2004, 02:58:14 PM »

got winxp and win2000 pc's networked wirh cross over cable to the lan cards. Can't see that it is working, an somebody send me the configurations and how to do the jod properly. I got all the right hardware.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: