MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Hard Drive Boot Record Problem :(
August 25, 2019, 12:43:52 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 25, 2019, 12:43:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Help us help you! Help us help you by helping out! The more people know about us, the more help will be available. Click here to find out how...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hard Drive Boot Record Problem :(  (Read 2789 times)
CcPunk82

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2003, 05:11:48 PM »

I tried to add another hard drive to my computer but I changed my mind pretty quick. Now that everything is back to normal the origional hard drive wont even boot anymore. After the POST screens it saids: "searching for boot record on Hard Drive......OK" then it starts beeping over and over very fast and doesn't stop or do anything. I also did not get any error message. I didn't change the jumpers, It is being recognised as master. With some ribbon cables plugged in the hard drive it gets even less farther along so I just keep the ribbon in it that gets it to the point I explained. I noticed, as well, that when it saids checking vram it gets past that part fine lke always but now it doesn't count up all the #'s for about a min. like it used to. One last observation... when I put in a boot disk or CD it doesn't find a boot record.. it may be that those floppy and CD drives have been broken all along or they are now hooked up wrong, but I doubt it. Sorry for being so long I just wanted to get all the information out that I knew. Thanks so much to anyone that can help Colin Smiley
My SPECS: 250ram 800mhz 30gigHD.... Windows 2000 , the hard drive is a Maxtor and it's model:33073H3 .......I have American Megatrends Ami bios , if that helps Wink

bbhagrid

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2003, 05:31:47 PM »

count how many beeps there are when it boots up those post beeps are telling you what is wrong and knowing how many there are is how to find out what the prob is ...also the beeps may be like this (one long beep with two short beeps) and so on count how many there are and if there are any long ones and post back with them

When I die, I want to die like my grandmother, who died peacefully
in her sleep.  Not screaming like all the passengers in her car.

Brian
CcPunk82

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2003, 06:21:24 PM »

WEll it does one beep before the problem like it always has done. But once it gets hung up at the Searching for boot record.....OK it beeps over and over very fast and doesn't stop. Weird one huh?... Smiley Tanks man!

CcPunk82

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2003, 10:39:39 PM »

I actually just tried installing a new floppy drive that I know works and I still get the same problem Sad It looks on the floppy for a boot record but finds none. I've tried several boot disks and they all work on other computers. Also the cables are in right... I even tried putting them in wrong lol ahhhh whats next with this darn machine! If I could get the floppy to boot then I may beable to work around this other problem by using fdisk. Thanks Smiley

blackcat9ca

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2003, 05:24:06 AM »

just a thought.... maybe there is a problem with your bios settings

thanks a bunch!
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2003, 06:14:31 PM »

Hi,

Is your hard drive parameters in the BIOS set to AUTO or did you detect them using the "Hard Drive Auto-Detect" feature in your BIOS? When you put the system back the way it was, did you redetect the hard drive parameters and remove to ones for the second drive that is now removed?

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
CcPunk82

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2003, 08:01:49 PM »

Thanks admin for responding. I have tried auto detecting the drives and I have tried leaving them on auto, but the same thing happens Sad

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2003, 12:58:27 PM »

Hi,

If the BIOS cannot detect the drive then it is either not well connected (e.g. ribbon or power cable not well seated at either ends, ribbon cable on backwards, master/slave jumper settings) or the drive is dead.

Is the drive spinning up?

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
CcPunk82

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2003, 08:27:33 PM »

Actually it's weird. The BIOS detects the drives fine either on AUTO or auto-detection and the drive spins up. But it just stops at that point. It's really weird cause it wont pick up boot records from my definatly working floppys or cd roms

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2003, 10:04:18 PM »

Hi,

Did you recently do a BIOS update or cleaned any virus, if so which one?

Sylvain Amyot

CcPunk82

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2003, 10:56:39 PM »

Nope:( I don't know how to do a bios update and I don't remember the last virus I may of had or quite how long ago, but not real recent for sure!

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2003, 01:22:23 PM »

Hi,

Is it possible the motherboard was damaged trying to install the other hard drive?
Do you recall getting a static shock touching the inside of the system?

If all devices are well setup and attached and the BIOS recognizes them, and the system cannot find a boot record on your hard drive, floppy and cdrom, I would suspect the motherboard is damaged!

You may want to try running the "BIOS Setup Default" (or something similar) options in the BIOS Setup to reset all BIOS options to default to see if an options was changed that may be causing this, but as far as I know there are no options that would do this except maybe for the floppy drive! Take note of your settings before resetting them.

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: