MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Fatal exception 0E vxd vcache error
June 19, 2019, 01:24:52 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2019, 01:24:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fatal exception 0E vxd vcache error  (Read 2762 times)
mslily

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2003, 01:55:16 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Hello:
 I am getting the following error.........
A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C004E759 in VXD VCACHE (01)+000001BD........at which time the computer freezes and I have to turn it off with the switch on the case.

The error is always the same and occurs very frequently both online and offline.
Always occurs: Playing online games, during virus scans, defrag and scandisk.
Occasionally occurs: With regular online surfing and during startup, but startup is usually only affected if I have had to restart because of the error occurring while doing something else.
Never occurs: While playing games offline such as spider & solitare or while in safe mode (including scans in safe mode).

What I have tried:
Checked and secured all connections.
Good cleaning and fans are running fine.
Defrag, ScanDisk and Virus scan (clean)but can only run these in safe mode.
Deleted all temp files, temp internet files and cookies.
Uninstalled all programs not vital to operation.
Updated Drivers.
VXD Fix.
Opened the case and directed a desk fan inside, this seems to help some but only temporarily. I have found that the fan seems to really help when I am getting the errors during start up.
Installed Windows over itself.
Replaced Memory.
Formated and reinstalled Win98SE.*

*I have formated and reinstalled windows 4 times now, thinking that perhaps I had done something wrong as this is my first experience in doing anything like that. Each time while installing, when I reach the part where I need to enter a user name the keyboard quits responding. The only way I can get the keyboard to respond is to shut the computer off and restart it several times, twice having to leave it off overnight before the keyboard would work again. Also each time I do an install, the system file checker shows that the file setupx.dll is corrupt and I fix it from the installation cd.

The computer is about 4 years old and was given to me in June when a company shut down. My benefactor indicated that it had no problems, however the errors began as soon as I hooked it up. I am wondering if there is any possibility that because I live in a 60 year old house perhaps it is not getting enough power to run properly here? Or perhaps the fan helping at times might indicate a heat related problem? Just taking a stab in the dark though as I am clueless about such things and wouldn't know where to begin troubleshooting such issues.

PC Info:
System-Dell Dimension L433c
Processor:Celeron 433MHz (L1 cache: 32.0 Kb, L2 cache: 128.0 Kb)
CPU: GenuineIntel 686
Memory: 256MB
Bios:Amibios 063200
Video Card:
Intel(R) 82810-DC100 Graphics Controller
Audio Card: Creative Sound Blaster AudioPCI 64V
Network Card: (1) Intel(R) PRO PCI Adapter
Operating System: Windows 98SE
Internet Explorer: 6.0
Outlook Express: 6

I am new to all of this so please excuse me if I have given too much or too little information and/or rambled on too long.

:)Thank you, mslily

bbhagrid

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2003, 12:59:17 PM »

ok in researching this problem I had found your other posts on it and read them through to see what all has been done ...where you have your pc plugged in is it on the same circuit as the a/c or the refridgerator? just wondering as they could pull power from the line enough to cause probs with the pc also are you using a ups?(uniterruptible powers supply) in case of a power failure. in your BIOS the setting for the operating syatem plug n play aware feature is it set to yes? post back and I will do what I can to help until someone else comes along with something

When I die, I want to die like my grandmother, who died peacefully
in her sleep.  Not screaming like all the passengers in her car.

Brian
mslily

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2003, 02:17:39 PM »

Hello Brian:
Thanks so much for getting back to me. The people at the other forum were so helpful but as you can see we weren't able to nail down the cause.
Actually yes, my computer is set up in the same room where I have a large upright freezer running. I am assuming that means it is probably on the same circuit, right?
I do not have a ups, would that be something I could get at say Fry's or Radio Shack or something I would have to order?
I checked in BIOS and the plug n play is set to NO.

Awaiting further instructions,
MsLily

bbhagrid

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2003, 04:00:50 PM »

"I checked in BIOS and the plug n play is set to NO."

set it to yes

"I do not have a ups, would that be something I could get at say Fry's or Radio Shack or something I would have to order?"

you can get one for about 30 to 40 dollars at your local electronics shop

"Actually yes, my computer is set up in the same room where I have a large upright freezer running. I am assuming that means it is probably on the same circuit, right?"

more than likely yes and it could be what is causing the problem , if you know someone that is handy have them use an electrical tester on the recepticle and see if there is a fluctuation specially when the freezer kicks in if it does my guess would be that it is the problem

also check for updates to your graphics controller and graphics card

Brian
mslily

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2003, 06:41:00 PM »

Thank you Brian.
Will set the BIOS correctly and pick up a ups this weekend. Not sure if I know anyone that is handy with an electrical tester but was seriously considering moving my computer to a different location in the house anyways and this would be a perfect excuse to do so this weekend also.

Will keep you posted on the outcome.
MsLily

Kevin

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2003, 12:18:32 AM »

Ouch. I am not sure if I can help but...! Your installs should be smooth as silk without lockup and corrupted files. I would look serious at that. You formatted, perhaps an fdisk might help you. Have you ever done one? Boot from Windows startup disk go to dos type fdisk enter then remove and recreate partions then format c drive then reload windows, I know again! You want to make sure you are getting a completely fresh install. Sorry, is your windows cd from MS or Dell? It will not help you to install windows over itself. The main thing here is to determine what kind of problem you have. I hope you are only having a software issue.

I found this page but it may not be related to your problem http://www.nocrash.com/ncbbs/msgs/1585.shtml

Kevin

mslily

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2003, 03:27:41 AM »

Brian:
Errors are still occurring with BIOS set to "yes" on plug n play but okay to leave it set on "yes" permanently?

Hello Kevin:
I too was worried over the keyboard and the corrupt file showing up after each install. I did do the fdisk the first time I formatted and reinstalled, was not sure if I was supposed to do it each time. Am willing to do so again if needed.

My cd is from MS, could that be a problem?

I checked out the link. I've already tried lowering my hardware acceleration, sorry forgot to mention that before, but it did not help either. And too the new memory did not do the trick. But I certainly do appreciate you finding that link for me and posting it as any and all suggestions are much appreciated.

Thank you, MsLily

bbhagrid

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2003, 12:11:29 PM »

yes it is ok to leave it set to yes because windows98 is a plug n play aware OS i also came across this and thought it was worth a try

Free Memory Diagnostic Tool

The Microsoft Windows Memory Diagnostic
     tool from http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp . is another
     great utility for diagnosing memory  
The free "Windows Memory Diagnostic" from Microsoft is actually a DOS-
like low-level tool that runs on any system based on Intel Pentiums or
Celerons; AMD K6s, Athlons, or Durons; and other "x86" compatible CPUs.
The download file contains both the tool and a kind of installer
application that lets you automatically create a special-purpose boot
floppy, or an ISO image you can burn to a boot CD. You then boot from the
floppy or CD, and the memory diagnostic tool will run automatically.
The diagnostic test starts by filling your RAM with all ones, all zeros,
and various regular patterns of ones and zeros. Any discrepancies between
what is written into RAM and what is read back out indicates a problem
with one or more RAM modules. The test can pinpoint the failure location,
so you'll know exactly which RAM module is giving you trouble.

The test speed depends on the speed of your system (CPU and RAM speed)
and how much RAM you're testing. The base test runs in a matter of
minutes on most systems, but the thorough tests can take many hours---
it's *very* thorough.

RAM is usually quite reliable, but RAM problems, when they occur, can be
very hard to pin down.

I also am concerned with the install problem something is going screwy on you there and I am working on a solution

Brian
mslily

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2003, 02:30:27 AM »

Brian:
I will leave the Bios setting at "yes" then. Thank you for that info. I used up all my disks making backups of my drivers and stuff before I formatted and installed windows, so that will have to be something I pick up this weekend before I can download and use the Memory Diagnostic Tool. Thank you for the link and I will keep you posted on the outcome.

With much gratitude, MsLily

bbhagrid

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2003, 11:13:18 AM »

ok I will wait and will research a bit more hope one of these things ends up a fix for you have a great day;D

Brian
mslily

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2003, 04:20:01 PM »

Hi Brian and all:

I think the problem is finally solved! I moved my computer to another room with no major appliances running on the same circuit, then formatted and reinstalled windows without a hitch. So far everything is running smoothly. I can't thank you enough for all your help. You're the greatest! Wishing you all a fantastic weekend!

MsLily

bbhagrid

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2003, 08:45:31 PM »

that's great Grin glad everything is working out for you now and hope it stays that way

Brian
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: