MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: slow to bootup
May 22, 2019, 05:41:57 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2019, 05:41:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: slow to bootup  (Read 3080 times)
Kevin

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2003, 01:58:09 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:win98 (se)
Problem Application Name & Version:ci-npnc-10/100-nic v1.01
Problem Hardware Make & Model:nic card/233 amd clone
Error Messages:none

New to this forum any help will be appreiciated.This is just a nag problem.

If I remove the nic card it boots normal (for windows)

I have tried another card and reloaded windows with and without the card installed ... same.

Is this a common problem? I am using the driver provided by manufacture of the card(s)and did not find an update (heh win98.) Do not know where to go from here. I am living with this by changing the hanging windows logo screen to something else.Lips Sealed

thank you in advance for any suggestions
Kevin

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2003, 06:33:49 PM »

Hi,

When the NIC is installed, are you getting any resource conflicts in Device Manager or IRQ sharing with another PCI device?

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Kevin

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2003, 11:04:31 PM »

Thanks for responding. On IRQ 11 there is 10/100 Fast ethernt adapt,
intel 82371 ab/eb pci to host controler and irq holder for pci steering. No conflicts. The only irq not there is 12 and of course it will not allow user to change except maybe by reserving..

Again if I pull the network card physically out the system boots without hanging.

Kevin

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2003, 11:24:39 PM »

Hi,

Try running in Diagnostics Startup Mode with the NIC installed to see if the problem goes away, if so the problem is most likely due to an application loading during startup. If not, then the problem lies with Windows. Let me know and we will go from there.

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Kevin

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2003, 12:53:20 AM »

:)Tried diagnostic mode and still hangs. Man what did you do to my computer the display is messed up and now there are icons in the sys tray .... just kidding!! Put it back in selective mode everything is as it was. - Bias screen - hard drive working,- short pause, - hard drive working, - the big long ms logo pause  - and then to desktop.

Only have explorer running in background. I checked again in dvm normal and safe node no dupes and everything looking ok.

Everything was fine until I installed the network card (tried two different  cards manufactures same problem). Also fdisked and reinstalled windows once with the card in once without and even pulled the battery out once and reset bias another. Also tried different slot.

I really do not know what is going on but it

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2003, 01:28:02 PM »

Hi,

Another thought! Loading unneeded network protocols will also cause this. Check your networking properties and let me know what protocols are installed (e.g TCP/IP, Netbeui, IPX/SPX...)

If IPX/SPX is installed and you're not running Netware, remove it.

Sylvain Amyot

Kevin

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2003, 07:51:54 AM »

I got a little lost here.
Have tcp/ip 10/100, pci 10/100 and efficient ppp.oe [ntsp3], tcp/ip efficient pp... in network configuration.

Played with it by deleting and tried to reinstal
unsuccessful gave errors for "protocol"

noticed that after selecting A:\win98 path it still said installing windows\inf other\gerni~1.inf maybe that's normal I do not know?

But anyways was only able to get connected by using a good backup copy of registery

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2003, 02:38:19 PM »

Hi,

By using the good backup copy of the registry, did you get the system back to the way it was before deleting stuff in the network properties and/or also solve your slow to bootup problem?

Sylvain Amyot

Kevin

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2003, 09:04:04 PM »

Hi,

The system hangs at win logo with any registry copy.

Removing the protocol pci 10/100 and efficent (both seem to needed)... it boots faster.

I thought I would time it under different conditions, it seemed to boot the fastest by about 5 seconds I think with the nic card removed.

35 seconds without networking card/driver

55 seconds with networking installed.

thanks for the interest.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2003, 04:04:09 PM »

Hi,

Since Windows has to load NIC drivers and supporting software, protocols...when the NIC is present, it is normal that Windows takes a bit longer to bootup.

Have you tried the NIC in a different PCI slot?

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: