MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Permenant blue screen
December 06, 2019, 09:25:30 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 06, 2019, 09:25:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Permenant blue screen  (Read 1786 times)
ham_anegg

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2003, 08:43:17 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:wINDOWS XP
Problem Application Name & Version: XP 32 bit edition 2002
Problem Hardware Make & Model:dell dimension 4500
Error Messages:"Stop:  C0000218 (Registry File Failure)
The registry cannot load the hive(file):
\SYSTEM\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SAM
or it's log or alternate.

Beginning Dump of Physical Memory
Dump of physical memory Completed.
Contact your administrator or technical support group for assistance

I recently had the msblast.exe virus and tried to download the patch off the microsoft site, but couldnt download it in time before it shut my computer down.
At about the 5th attempt, the computer was shut down so I stopped trying, and used my symantec remover to get rid of the virus.  Once I shut down the PC after playing a game, I started it the next day and the message, stated above was shown on a blue screen.  I cannot pass this blue screen, either by pressing any of the buttons or resatrting the pc in one of its many different options, like rebooting, safe mode, debugging mode, etc etc etc.

Does anyone know what I can do to sort it out, dell want

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2003, 06:40:07 PM »

Hi,

Seems like your SAM hive is corrupted. Did you create a repair disk (rdisk) before this happened? Do you have Norton Antivirus installed? Did you run Norton's Rescue utility?

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
ham_anegg

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2003, 07:18:26 PM »

wow, a reply....

hope you had a good reply, but I feel like crying,....you know why.....
because I don't have a clue how to make a repair disk, and I had JUST purchased Norton Anti-virus before the accident but when i turned on the pc,.... arg!!! the blue screen!!!!

I've tried going in safe mode and all other modes, and I would have logged on as administrator but didn't get that far....blue screen again!!!!!!

"why does it always rain on me"?Huh?

arg, I'm more technically knowledged than the average joe public, but when it comes to software, I'd be screwed.  Any more ideas?

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2003, 12:51:22 PM »

Hi,

Either try a System Restore (if is was enabled) or do a repair installation

System Restore:
HOW TO: Start the System Restore Tool from a Command Prompt in Windows XP

Repair Installation:
1. Boot off WinXP cd
2. Select to repair the current installation

Worst case, try this but make sure you print this page and the other pages referenced within it.
How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry That Prevents Windows XP from Starting

Good Luck!

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
ham_anegg

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2003, 12:24:23 PM »

well, i used my xp disc to try and type in the solution that was shown in the microsoft link you gave me, but it didn't recognise a LOT of the commands, only the copy ones. However, I ended up just deleting all the stuf off my hard drive and creating another copy of windows xp on my machine so I could get it to work.

Now there is only one problem.  At start up the first screen that comes up asks me which operating system I would like to use.  The first one always works for me but how do I go about deleting the other copy?

Thanks a lot for your help

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2003, 12:54:06 PM »

Hi,

Right click "My Computer" on the desktop and select 'Properties'. Go to the "Advanced" tab. Hit "Settings" in the "Startup and Recovery" section. In the "System Startup" section hit "Edit". This will edit the boot.ini file and allow you to remove the second bootup entry which will be under the [operating systems] header. Make sure you remove the right one because you won't be able to boot up into that Windows installation once removed.

The lines will look something like this:

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\NEW_WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP" /fastdetect

Remove the entire line that has the path to the folder of the damaged Windows installation (in red)

Will end up looking like this:

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\NEW_WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP" /fastdetect

Then save and exit, and reboot to test

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: