MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: geting system
October 21, 2019, 01:05:35 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2019, 01:05:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: geting system  (Read 1679 times)
velkovk

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2003, 04:18:35 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:98
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages: something about DIMMS missing

I recently purchased an Pentium II Dell Opptiplex GXa mashine without HDD and memory, and have put it together with my exhisting hard drive (which by the way was second HDD (slave) on my previous system) and memory. When I try to start it up, the light on the monterboard goes on, i can hear the floppy and HDD drive working, but on the monitor always direct me to the system set-up, and there I could not find what is wrong. According to me everything is set OK. I corected problem with the jumpers on old HDD but again nothing. I have no idea what the problem could be. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Undecided

bbhagrid

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2003, 05:04:16 PM »

is the memory you used from the old pc compatible with the new machine?

When I die, I want to die like my grandmother, who died peacefully
in her sleep.  Not screaming like all the passengers in her car.

Brian
velkovk

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2003, 03:56:05 PM »

I put SDRAM 2X32=64MB. It fits into the banks. So I though it is correct.

bbhagrid

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2003, 04:18:17 PM »

ok this is the type of memory you need 128MB SDRAM, 66MHzusing 100 or 133mhz memory will not work with your system so check your ram and see what the mhz is on it and if it isnt 66mhz then i would replace it with the proper ram  you can look up the ram requirements at  http:\\www.crucial.com   they ask you about your system and will tell you what ram you are able to use and will also give a price for it and you can buy it from them if you want also

When I die, I want to die like my grandmother, who died peacefully
in her sleep.  Not screaming like all the passengers in her car.

Brian
velkovk

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2003, 04:37:08 PM »

Thanks. I'll try that.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2003, 07:14:34 PM »

Hi,

I suspect since the system is powering up and that you have access to the BIOS setup, that the memory may not be the issue here, not at this point anyways.

What devices are on the primary IDE connector? If more that one device, make sure the master/slave settings are correct on both devices (e.g. bootup drive set as master and second device as slave) If the hard drive is the only device, check that the drive doesn't have a Stand-Alone jumper setting which if it does, should be used.

Then go back into the BIOS setup and look for an Hard drive autodetect option or set the primary master and primary slave to AUTO

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
velkovk

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2003, 03:58:34 PM »

I couldn't even reach BIOS setup. I am thinking, looking at the mainboard, that I may be misaing BIOS on mainboard. Does enybody know how it looks like? I was not able to find it on net. I asked tehnicians in DELL but without response.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2003, 04:56:50 PM »

Hi,

You mentioned in your first post that you were redirected to the system set-up, right? This is your BIOS setup.

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
velkovk

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2003, 07:42:54 PM »

Yes, I sed "system" set-up but not BIOS set-up. It even doesn't look as a BIOS set up, wich I am familiar with. Namely I worked with  AMIBIOS until now, and that on the screen is not that.

velkovk

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2003, 01:49:08 PM »

I solved problem. It was BIOS. But now i have problem recognizing the netvork which is on the mainboard?

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2003, 08:13:52 PM »

Hi,

Check Device Manager for any devices in a type called "Other Devices". If network card there, go to Drivers tab of its properties and update the drivers. The drivers would be on your motherboard CD (since it is integrated)

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: