MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: no sound
June 05, 2020, 04:08:48 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2020, 04:08:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: no sound  (Read 2906 times)
babybratgirl

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2003, 04:08:11 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows 98
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Avance 97
Error Messages:

Well I am getting all of the problems worked out slowly.  I am still having a problem with no sound at all.  My sound card is showing up in device managed as preferred and enabled.  Media player and Directx are also showing enabled.  I was getting an error message from directx saying that some of the files were missing or damaged.  So, I downloaded directx again and it shows working okay.  But I am still getting error message "ATI2DRAG.DRV and ALCXWDM.SYS are not digitally signed.  Says that I may be able to get a signed driver from the manufacturer of the hardware device."   Which hardware device do they mean "Avance or Direct X or Media Player"?
Huh?

Wendy Jo Carter
Kevin

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2003, 08:53:55 PM »

ALCXWDM.SYS I believe is downloadable at http://avance.com or you could try http://driverguide.com.

ATI2DRAG.DRV is ATI (video)

Drivers are software which enable hardware to work or work properly. What is confusing to me is the error message. Windows XP requires (it's the LAW :osoftware signed which I think means what is on the list of drivers from manufactures companies. I do notice that the driver at avance is for all versions of windows go figure.

What I do not know is if the files you looking for are on your windows cd. You might try uninstalling/reinstalling the sound card. But other than that I think I have more questions than answers.

Was your sound working before directx or media player? Perhaps someone else could shine some light.

babybratgirl

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2003, 01:39:51 AM »

I tried downloading from manufacturer--still didn't work.  I also tried uninstalling and re-installing the drivers and still didn't work.  Any more suggestions.

Wendy Jo Carter
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2003, 03:23:48 PM »

Hi,

Seems like the sound card is setup properly, did you verify that the speakers are connected to the correct port at the back of the system and that the sound mixer has all the volumes up and not muted?

Because DirectX doesn't recognize a driver file as "digitally signed" doesn't mean the file is no good. It only means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs, which doesn't mean much!

Do you have a device type called "Other Devices" in Device Manager? If so, what is listed under it?

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
babybratgirl

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2003, 08:54:47 PM »

I don't have any "other devices"   Just a thought--could the sound not be working because of my power supply being only 250 watts and I have recently installed another hard drive, new motherboard, cpu, and a cd burner but haven't put a bigger power supply in?Huh?Huh?Huh?

Wendy Jo Carter
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2003, 01:52:23 PM »

Hi,

I suspect if this is the case, the problem would not manifest itself like this but you never know!

Did you play around with the speaker connection to the system? Could you have inserted the connector in the wrong hole?

Did you check you mixer settings to make sure all colume levels are not too low or muted?

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
babybratgirl

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2003, 05:12:29 PM »

yeah, I have checked the speakers and wires, everything is hooked up right.  I have ordered a bigger power supply just in case this might be the problem.  Just seeing if you have ever heard of this happening before.  Thank you for you help.

Wendy Jo Carter
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2003, 05:29:53 PM »

Hi,

Let us know if the new power supply resolves your problem. I would be surprised if it does but I like surprises!

Sylvain Amyot

babybratgirl

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2003, 01:13:12 PM »

Well the power supply didn't make a difference.  I still have no sound.  I tried just putting headphones in the cdrom jack and playing an audio cd and I didn't have any sound that way either.  I rechecked device manager, bios and speaker connections, everything looks fine.  Any more suggestion?Sad

Wendy Jo Carter
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2003, 02:38:51 PM »

Hi,

Just a thought, you said you installed a new motherboard, right? Does this new motherboard have an onboard (integrated) sound card? Are you trying to get an add-on card to work? If so, there may be a conflict. Let me know.

Sylvain Amyot

babybratgirl

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2003, 01:13:00 AM »

it does have an onboard sound card and I was not trying to add-on one.  However, I ended up just turning off the onboard Ac97 and buying and sound card and it works great now.  Thanks for all of your help.

Wendy Jo Carter
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2003, 03:23:31 PM »

Hi,

Glad you solved your problem! Grin

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: