MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Internet & Email arrow Topic: Machine name displayed over the internet
June 06, 2020, 07:01:09 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2020, 07:01:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Looking for cheap hardware and/or software?
Visit our new Online Store where you will be able to purchase from a reputable vendor by country.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Machine name displayed over the internet  (Read 1085 times)
tomo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2003, 03:00:18 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Question I have just run Shieldsup  https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
And it was warned me of this: do I need to be concerned or are all ISPs up to this? I ran this a few months ago and it only displayed my ISPs IP address not a machine name?

The text below might uniquely
identify you on the Internet

Your Internet connection's IP address is uniquely associated with the following "machine name":

pc3-stn3-4-cust137.stn.cable.ntl.com
The string of text above is known as your Internet connection's "reverse DNS." The end of the string is probably a domain name related to your ISP. This will be common to all customers of this ISP. But the beginning of the string uniquely identifies your Internet connection. The question is: Is the beginning of the string an "account ID" that is uniquely and permanently tied to you, or is it merely related to your current public IP address and thus subject to change?
The concern is that any web site can easily retrieve this unique "machine name" (just as we have) whenever you visit. It may be used to uniquely identify you on the Internet. In that way it's like a "supercookie" over which you have no control. You can not disable, delete, or change it. Due to the rapid erosion of online privacy, and the diminishing respect for the sanctity of the user, we wanted to make you aware of this possibility. Note also that reverse DNS may disclose your geographic location.
If the machine name shown above is only a version of the IP address, then there is less cause for concern because the name will change as, when, and if your Internet IP changes. But if the machine name is a fixed account ID assigned by your ISP, as is often the case, then it will follow you and not change when your IP address does change. It can be used to persistently identify you as long as you use this ISP.
There is no standard governing the format of these machine names, so this is not something we can automatically determine for you. If several of the numbers from your current IP address (xx.xx.xx.xx) appear in the machine name, then it is likely that the name is only related to the IP address and not to you. But you may wish to make a note of the machine name shown above and check back from time to time to see whether the name follows any changes to your IP address, or whether it, instead, follows you.
Just something to keep in mind as you wander the Internet.

bbhagrid

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2003, 03:56:43 PM »

I would get a firewall it will make it safer for you on the web

When I die, I want to die like my grandmother, who died peacefully
in her sleep.  Not screaming like all the passengers in her car.

Brian
tomo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2003, 04:57:23 PM »

I have a home network through a Belkin router with NAT enabled and the router has a built in firewall enabled, also I have Norton Internet Security firewall plus virus enabled.
Any ideas or is this the start of things to come?

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2003, 03:44:20 PM »

Hi,

I haven't heard of any exploits to reverse DNS lookups but since you have a firewall, I wouldn't be too worried about it! At this point in time, perhaps the worst one can do it track your internet habits!

The only concern that Shields Up! states is:
quote:
If the machine name is a fixed account ID assigned by your ISP, as is often the case, then it will follow you and not change when your IP address does change. It can be used to persistently identify you as long as you use this ISP.
Which, from what I get from this, is that your system can be identified, but not any other personal information using this method.

If anybody else has a comment on this, I would be very interested in hearing it!

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: