MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Internet & Email arrow Topic: Cannot restore emails
July 19, 2019, 04:01:10 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 19, 2019, 04:01:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cannot restore emails  (Read 1899 times)
dkam

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2003, 03:34:12 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows XP
Problem Application Name & Version:Outlook Express 6
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

I had experienced a problem in backing up my emails to an external hard disk and had to reestablish the emails accounts in the Outlook. After that the previous emails seem to have gone. I used "*.dbx" to search for dbx files and local the path of emails which I suspect to be the old emails. I tried to use tools/options/maintenace/change folder to change the folder to the path that I obtained by the search function but cannot got back my emails although the path has been changed after restarting Outlook Express and the PC.

Can anyone advise how can I see the previous emails in Outlook again?

Thanks.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2003, 07:36:57 PM »

Hi,

Did you try to import these messages?

Check out this thread:
Cant reach folders.....

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
dkam

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2003, 02:36:03 PM »

Hi Slvain,

I tried to import messages, but the system said that the folder may already been used. Can you also advise how can I restore mails in the recycle box in Norton? I have already click the restore button but I  cannot see whether the mails have been moved to a different location.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2003, 04:05:32 PM »

Hi,

Are the old DBX files in the same folder as your new ones?
If so, move them to a temporary location (including the old Folders.dbx) and try to import them again.
If not, then change the location path back to the newly created profile and then import from other location.

Emails are deleted from the DBX file and would therefore not by sent to Windows Recycle Bin (Norton Recycle Bin). What file(s) did you recover from Norton Recycle Bin?

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
dkam

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2003, 05:55:40 AM »

Hi Sylvain,

The old mails are in the same folder as the new emails. However, The Windows Explorer can only lead me to the folder level and I cannot go to the specific inbox.dbx file that represent the old emails.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2003, 05:58:08 PM »

Hi,

Follow the following instructions to view files from an old *.DBX file

You Cannot Import a Single .dbx Message File

or

You can use a third-party utility called Dbxtract.exe to recover lost messages. This utility extracts individual e-mail messages from Outlook Express 5.x/6.x and stores the files in a specified folder as individual .msg files. You can then drag the messages to a specific Outlook Express folder, such as Inbox.dbx.

The Dbxtract.exe utility and instructions for using it are available at the following Web site:

http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/Default.aspx

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: