MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Reinstall OS
August 18, 2019, 01:39:26 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 18, 2019, 01:39:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reinstall OS  (Read 2335 times)
Dsherm112

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2003, 05:55:28 PM »

I need more space on my boot drive that runs W2KP.
But when  I put the disk in I get an error message that says FTDisk.sys is corrupted. I can't get past this message.

How can I reformat both partitions, increase the size of the boot partition, and reinstall the OS.

Thanks,

Sherm

bbhagrid

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2003, 06:02:51 PM »

you want to get rid of all partitions and info on that drive to reformat? (just making sure)do you have the windows cd or is it a recovery cd?

When I die, I want to die like my grandmother, who died peacefully
in her sleep.  Not screaming like all the passengers in her car.

Brian
Dsherm112

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2003, 06:36:08 PM »

Yes, i want to repartition and reformat. It is a W2KP CD<  not a recovery CD. But the CD boots to the error message listed above. How do I fix this?

Sherm

bbhagrid

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2003, 07:36:58 PM »

ok i will show you how to erase all info on the hard drive and then you will need to run fdisk and then reformat...(ftdisk.sys is a driver and i am not sure what the prob is with it but this info i will give will erase all info on the drive so you can fdisk and reformat...this is done with a startup disk or boot disk with debug on it

This debug routine is used to erase allpartition information on the hard disk drive and is only reccommended for users unable to delete the paretition information through fdisk ....reboot with the startup or boot floppy in

A:\>debug <then press enter>

-F 200 L1000 0  <enter>
-A CS:100 <enter>
xxxx:0100 MOV AX,301 <enter>
xxxx:0103 MOV BX,200 <enter>
xxxx:0106 MOV CX,1 <enter>
xxxx:0109 MOV DX,80 <enter>

( 80 for hdd 0 or 81 for hdd 1 )

xxxx:010C INT 13 <enter>
xxxx:010E INT 20 <enter>
-g <enter>
Program terminated normally
-q <enter>

once this debug routine is complete reboot computer and all partitions should be erased.
Before anything can be installed back onto the computer you must run Fdisk and recreate the partitions as well as format the hard drive

the x's will become apparent as to what they are when you do this as they are already filled in by your pc if you dont get any other answers to your problem i would do this as i have had to do it to a machine with winxp on it that wasnt compatible with winxp and had to do it to be able to get win98 back onto it and it works like a charm once this debug routine is done all the info on the drive will be erased and you should be able to reformat and reinstall

Brian
bbhagrid

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2003, 07:39:48 PM »

also please feel free to im me or email me if you have any questions

Brian
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2003, 07:32:30 PM »

Hi,

If you boot off the Win2k setup CD, you should be able to remove and recreate the partition

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Dsherm112

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2003, 12:42:09 AM »

The important point is being missed here. Does the error message mean my W2KP CD is unusable. If so is there a way around this, such as browsing the cd for example.

Sherm

bbhagrid

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2003, 11:46:28 AM »

from everything i can find on this error ftdisk is a fault tolerant disk utility and is on the harddrive it is used to recover data i dont think there is a problem with your cd just with the files on your hard drive and that is where the error is comming from

Brian
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2003, 01:38:40 PM »

Hi,

Sorry I missed your point! Embarrassed I follow you now!

Is you Win2k CD an original or a burnt copy? Is the CD dirty or scratched?

I am not sure at what point booting off the Win2k cd process fails and wether it uses the FTDISK file from the CD or looks at the hard drive for FTDISK.SYS but if it does look at the file on the hard drive, try replacing it with the following good file (may have to do it in Safe-Mode or at a recopvery console)

Download Attachment: ftdisk.zip 115.61

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: