MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Computer Does not initiate boot sequence
September 17, 2019, 05:04:32 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 17, 2019, 05:04:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Computer Does not initiate boot sequence  (Read 3825 times)
FuHReaL THouGH

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2003, 07:40:37 PM »

Hey everyone I'm taking this chance in hope someone could give me some information on what went wrong.  
This is my pc's specs.

Core-AMD Athlon XP 1800+
Mobo-K7S5A
AGP Vid card-MSi Geforce 4 mx440
CD RW and CD rom drives (not sure what brand)
30 Gig HD.
512 DDR 133mhz Ram [1 stik] (previously 512 SDRAM)

I have installed XP pro and everything was running fine, downloaded all the drivers i needed... everything groovey... then... I installed my favorite game (the reason i put this XP system together) Half Life Counter Strike Mod.  Now, I have all the updated drivers for ever device on my system, and it was all working GREAT, UNTIL i ran Counter-strike.  it would freeze as soon as i entered a server.  I thought it might be the ram wasn't fast enough so i put 2 sticks of 128 Sdram from my p3 into it ... and it didn't freeze right away this time, i could play in the game for a few mins, then it froze.  Now after this freeze, i reboot the system, and now.... Black screen, no ram checking, no setup option...NOTHING, not even a signal to the monitor.  The Core temp on my CPU after the freezes was 51 degrees.  So now when i turn my box on, all that happens is, the CD rom and CDRW lights flash every few seconds, the HD light stays on and the floppy light doesn't do anything.  All fans are running, 1 case, 1 power supply and the CPU fan. Took out the ram, put it back in the P3.. works fine still... nothing smells burnt all cables and power cords are connected.  but NOTHING HAPPENS WHEN I TURN IT ON.  The only device i have on the mobo that isn't intergrated is the Vid card.  Any ideas??? Oh yah, I bought new ram 512 DDR and a new CPU Fan thinking it might do some good.  But nothing..... Any help would be MUCH apreciated.  Thanks for reading this LONG post =D

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2003, 08:05:08 PM »

Hi,

Make sure your cards, power connectors, CPU and memory are well seated. Also make sure the orientation of the IDE ribbon cables are correct, to test, disconnect all the ribbon cables at the motherboard end. If power supply power switch connects to motherboard through two small cable to a connector on motherboard, make sure it is well attached and on the right pegs.

How where you able to determine the core temperature of the CPU when the system didn't power up?

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
FuHReaL THouGH

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2003, 11:24:39 PM »

i checked the core temp before the computer stopped booting.  It froze about 5 times before and i kept restarting when it froze... after one of the restarts the core temp was 51 degrees... after that last reboot... everything was a no go... all wire are correct for they have not changed.  But I did take them out again and re install them..... still same thing... I'm thinking mobo or chip is fried.......... waiting to get another mobo to test.. but hasn't come yet

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2003, 11:26:41 PM »

Hi,

Let us know if the new motherboard solves your problem.

Good Luck!

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
FuHReaL THouGH

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2003, 10:29:18 PM »

Hello again,
Just put in an ASUS A7N8X mobo... with  the new ram and it turns on, checks the NVRAM but then stalls there ..... gunna now go and get a new Case and powersupply... damn expensive uprgade that was supposed to be free Sad

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2003, 07:44:20 PM »

Hi,

Do you have an update for us?

Sylvain Amyot

FuHReaL THouGH

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2003, 09:33:24 PM »

the shiznit still don't work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't have a new chip yet... cuz i don't have $170 for one right now ... just put my visa up to $8000 .... soooo yah.... i'm screwed for now ... maybe i'll take it to a shop and as them to diag it for 20 bux but i know they probably won't do it .. argh!!!! ANYONE GOT A AMD 2600+ with thurowbred core they wanna give me Cheesy hahahah... peace y'all

Sincerly,

Annoyed and broke tech geek

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2003, 03:22:29 PM »

Hi,

Is your hard drive set correctly? Is the master/slave jumper on each devices on the ribbon cable set correctly? Does the BIOS see the hard drive? Try an Auto Detect Hard drive in BIOS (if option exists)

Sylvain Amyot

FuHReaL THouGH

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2003, 03:49:58 PM »

Well the problem is I can't get into the bios, it won't do anything after NVRAM chek.  I haven't gotten the cash for the CHIP yet cuz this 25 year old guy just bought a $200 skateboard hahahaha... so yah i have a feeling the chip is fried.  I have new Mobo, Ram, Powersupply tried a diff HD same problem.... cables are correct... p.s. anyone got a shop that needs a hand in the GTA?? =D

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2003, 03:54:54 PM »

Ok,

Let us know if the new CPU fixes things when you buy it!
Good Luck!

Sylvain Amyot

FuHReaL THouGH

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2003, 03:04:02 PM »

ok, just to let u all know, HD was failing on POST... new HD... just found out the mobo won't install XP, so i'm running ME.... all is well... chip was ok...

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2003, 05:28:24 PM »

Glad you hear you're up and running! Grin

Thanks for the update!

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: