MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: DVD/CD RW drive completely not working
December 15, 2019, 08:26:50 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 15, 2019, 08:26:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: DVD/CD RW drive completely not working  (Read 5813 times)
etaknosnhoj

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2003, 12:33:55 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Win XP
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Unknown: came installed on Packard Bell iMedia 5o64
Error Messages:

My DVD/CD RW drive seems to have completely stopped working.  It doesn't read DVDs, audio or data discs - they show up as blank in My Computer and I can't access them through other programmes, as if there is no disc in the drive.
The device manager/properties box etc says the device is working normally, which it blatantly isn't.
I recently got rid of a worm virus and I thought this problem was part of it, but even after all other systems have been restored, the drive is still not working
Please can you help?

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2003, 01:05:13 PM »

Hi,

Perhaps the drivers were damaged. Try re-installing them.

Go to the "Driver" tab of the DVD Properties in "Device Manager" and select "Update Driver..." button. When the wizard starts, select "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)", the hit NEXT. The select "Don't Search", hit NEXT. Select "CDROM Drive" (probably already highlighted) and hit NEXT.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
etaknosnhoj

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2003, 10:10:51 AM »

I tried this - now when I put a disk in it sounds like it's trying to go into hyperdrive or whatever, but it can't quite make it, and it's still not reading any disks.  Any other ideas?

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2003, 06:53:24 PM »

Hi,

Does the DVD/CDRW work in "Diagnostics Startup Mode"?

Is the DVD/CDRW a Samsung SM308B DVD/CDRW combo drive?

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
etaknosnhoj

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2003, 02:36:26 PM »

As far as I know it's not a Samsung drive - it's completely integrated into the machine.
It doesn't work in Diagnostic Mode either - or Normal, or Selective for that matter.  It doesn't seem to work at all!

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2003, 03:14:29 PM »

Hi,

When you said '...but even after all other systems have been restored, the drive is still not working...' in your first post, do you mean you ran the Packard Bell system restore CD or that you simply got everything to work?

If you haven't installed any new software since you got the virus, you may want to try a system restore to the date previous to when you got the virus.
Start > All Program > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore
If you did install software since you will need to re-install them after a system restore.

If the DVD is still not working...

Is the system still under warranty? If so I would get the drive tested and replaced if needed.

Sylvain Amyot

etaknosnhoj

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2003, 09:34:16 AM »

Quite hilariously, System Restore has one restore point and that is for today only.  Which is obviously not much help.
My computer is set against me!  I'll have to brave the mis-named helpline...
Thanks for your help

etaknosnhoj

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2003, 09:42:33 AM »

I have suddenly discovered that the drive WILL play DVDs.  Audio and data discs still don't work thouugh.  Any ideas?

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2003, 07:42:02 PM »

Hi,

Do you have another system you can test the DVD player in?
This would determine wether this is a Windows problem or a hardware problem.

Sylvain Amyot

etaknosnhoj

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2003, 07:43:58 PM »

What do you mean by 'another system'?  Like another version of Windows?  I only have XP on this machine - it's less than a year old.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2003, 07:46:59 PM »

Hi,

What I meant was another computer, but only if you feel comfortable doing this, if not perhaps you could try a repair installation of WinXP which may solve your problem.

Sylvain Amyot

etaknosnhoj

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2003, 10:10:27 AM »

Well I'm not sure if I could do that - it's an integrated piece of hardware.  Do you mean like take it all apart and plug the DVD player into another hard drive?  I do have another cpmputer i could try this with, but I'm not sure if I'd get it right.
What do you mean by repair installation?

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2003, 03:28:27 PM »

Hi,

Forget testing in another system. A repair installation of WinXP is done by booting off the WinXP cd (if you can) and selecting the 'Repair' option.

Sylvain Amyot

etaknosnhoj

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2003, 08:43:37 AM »

Uh, I don't have a WinXP CD... it came ready installed.  All I have is an old Win98 CD from my old PC and I really don't think that would be a whole lot of help.  Could I get a CD from somewhere do you think?

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2003, 02:40:27 PM »

Hi,

Did you at least get a recovery CD? Check the contents of it for the WinXP installation files. Most likely in a 'i386' folder and run setup from there (in Windows). (Do not boot off a recovery cd unless you plan on wiping your drive clean and starting over, this is what recovery cds do.)

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 

Jump to: