MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Monitor,keyboard,mouse,etc. will not respond
October 19, 2019, 10:30:04 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2019, 10:30:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Monitor,keyboard,mouse,etc. will not respond  (Read 1220 times)
WhatADay

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2003, 04:36:45 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:win98
When turning on the computer, the monitor will not turn on.  Also, the mouse,keyboard,speakers aren't getting any signal from the computer either.  HElp

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2003, 04:44:05 PM »

Hi,

Was any new hardware recently installed?
Did you have a thunderstorm lately?
Was the system recently moved?
Are all these devices plugged into a power bar? Is the power bar plugged in/turned on? Plug a lamp into the power bar to test power bar.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
WhatADay

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2003, 04:48:14 PM »

I recently gave this computer to my grandma, and wouldn't you have it, it's been a week and already screwed up.  The power bar is fine, as well as all the IO devices because I am using everything of mine to troubleshoot.  She recently got a printer and installed that..I'm not sure what could have been done during that process though to cause such a problem.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2003, 05:53:45 PM »

Hi,

Have you checked that all cards, cables, CPU and memory are well seated in their slots/sockets?

Also make sure that if the power supply has a power button on it (on the back of the system) that is isn't switched off.

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
WhatADay

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2003, 06:42:05 PM »

Yes, everything seems to be seated.  Also, I believe the power supply is ok, note: the computer itself is turning on, but no I/O devices are working.  I don't know if it is booting up properly because obviously I can't see anything no signal is being sent to the monitor.  Sometimes if I push up upon the keyboard input on the back the lights on the keyboard to light up but that's all I can get so far...

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2003, 01:45:45 PM »

Hi,

Have you tried another power supply or CPU?
Because of the wide range of possibilities it is difficult to say, what parts did you try from your system?

Sylvain Amyot

WhatADay

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2003, 12:02:11 AM »

Used the monitor, mouse, keyboard from my system.    I removed sound card, ROM drives and still I get nothing from monitor, etc.  Someone suggested it might be the motherboard which is a typical problem for this type of Compaq supposedly..

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2003, 02:08:28 PM »

Hi,

Could very well be the motherboard or the CPU. Depending on the Compaq model you have, the motherboard may be proprietary and can only be replaced with the same board! If the motherboard is a standard ATX form factor, then it may be replaced with a clone but the best thing to do is get the system looked at at a PC shop to determine if a replacement is possible.

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: