MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: win xp or hard ware or both...HELP!!!
November 18, 2019, 04:39:23 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2019, 04:39:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: win xp or hard ware or both...HELP!!!  (Read 1072 times)
DooFDooF_music_sux

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2003, 01:46:41 PM »

well microsoft have really done a number on this one.
here is my problem my computer is slow i dont mean slow i mean anoyingly slow!. i don't know what to do i have tried optomizing ram (gives me 320mb's+back)i have tried a complete format and re-install i have tried stoping all programs from start-up and nothing seems to work! i am running a pentium4 (2.4Ghz) 512mb ram (333mhz) and a basic video card Nvidia Geforce 4 with 128mb ddr ram and a 80gig HDD (uncompressed..i haven't even used 5gig yet...oh yer the computer is less than two months old!!!) my MOBO is from a new-bie company called Asrock it is a X533?....(i don't know any thing about it but it seems to have all the goods) including a very cool live install vid with one hot chick doing it;)now how does this make it all slow I DON'T KNOW! i am used to old pentium 500mhz machines not giga hertz models! this system should walk all over my old sys (running win me)by at least 400%!! yes start up is quicker (takes around 5-7sec to get to the GUI) but that is it. it struggles through jasc paint shop 8 and music match (i have re-installed the programs too many times to care to do it again). im even pulling garbage fps on quake 3 (74fps=32bit@1024x768)!!!!!. i have all the latest drivers including bios. my sys only has a few extra programs on it at the moment including tweak xp, black ice, fallout 2 and pc-cillin and thats it. i also have another problem with running old games like blood, shadow worrior, quake and yep fallou2(usually will run ok but some times it will crash). i know these games are pretty dam old but money is money and software (especially games) usually don't have a used by date, that problem is funny as i can run street rod thats right! street rod!! and sr2 perfectly with no problems (i love my classics) but any other will not run so please please help me!!!!!!!!!.

ps.
windows XP runs fine with NO! ERORS what so ever (except it being slower than my grand mother).

pps.
if you have not seen what tweak xp can do then can you please not list any gui mods or reg cleaning stuf this program does it all and is easy to use. i realy don't know what else i can do! can i test my hard ware at home through programs or send the hard ware out?

9.8@140mph using nos with my pp rotor
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2003, 08:11:59 PM »

Hi,

I don't know if Tweak XP actually has any memory tweaks but check out this thread

Also try a Diagnostics Startup to see if problem is caused by an app loading.

Does this problem occur when your antivirus software is disabled?

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
DooFDooF_music_sux

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2003, 06:01:19 AM »

no it still does it with anti virus off. ill try doing selective startup. i will keep you posted

DooFDooF_music_sux

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2003, 06:51:01 AM »

Thanks man!!!
the registry tweaks worked (now to kill of tweak XP..dumb ass program)
jasc paint shop 8 takes less than 3sec to load as aposed to if it loaded at all or in 2min! (hay it is time gone from our short lives!!) and XP is still stable WOOHOO! now another question any books or texts on how the regesty editor works and what exactly does it do? (i would prefer non Microsoft documents) oh yer about old games on XP i love my shadow worrior and blood so can any one help me there? i have heard that windows(xp and up) no longer support's the old batch file type dos games (or some thing?)is this true i said earlier that i can run street rod perfectly but the affair starts and stops there if this is true where can i get a REFUND!!!! (for the games that is...money is money).

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2003, 02:21:06 PM »

Hi,

Glad you got the speed issue solved!

The registry editor is used to edit the registry which is Windows configuration files (used to be *.ini files) stored in a database style file. WinXP registry files are referred to as HIVES. All the settings for Windows and applications are store in the registry. Be very careful of what you do in there because you cannot undo any changes and they immediately take effect, you are not prompted to save on exit. Usually it is best to use some utility like TweakXP, all they do is edit the registry entry for you and remove the chance of error. Like you saw, these utilities don't have all the possible tweaks but are safer to use than editing the registry directly.

As for running older games (or apps), Windows XP can run them in compability mode. Simply find the executable (*.exe) file that runs the game or batch file (*.bat), right click and select "Properties". There will be a "Compability" tab which will allow you to run this game (app) in a different virtual Windows version (e.g. Win95, Win98...) and also allow other options to be set.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: