MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Application Problems arrow Topic: Favorites folder in Windows
May 22, 2019, 06:05:14 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2019, 06:05:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favorites folder in Windows  (Read 1349 times)
memriva

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2002, 06:34:21 AM »

It used to be that whenever I save favorites (bookmarks) in my IE - the URLs were also saved in the Favorites subfolder of my Windows folder.  Lately, I've noticed that most of the URLs listed in my Favorites folder are not the ones listed in my IE favorites section (I've made a great deal of
deletions and addings).  

I am currently using IE6 and can't understand what has happened.  How can I fix this problem?  I don't want to lose my bookmarks again.  I know that I can export my favorites as bookmark.htm but that is not enough for me.

Thanking you in advance for your help.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2002, 09:29:23 PM »

Hi,

What version of Windows are you using?

Windows NT/2000/XP keep your Favorites in your profile folders and are located in different places depending on you Windows version.

If using profiles in Win9x/ME will also put your Favorites elsewhere.

Please let me know the answer to my question,

Sylvain Amyot
samyot@mytechsupport.ca
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
memriva

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2002, 06:37:07 AM »

quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Hi,

What version of Windows are you using?

Windows NT/2000/XP keep your Favorites in your profile folders and are located in different places depending on you Windows version.

If using profiles in Win9x/ME will also put your Favorites elsewhere.

Please let me know the answer to my question,

Sylvain Amyot
samyot@mytechsupport.ca

Hi Sylvain,

I am using Windows 98 (second version) and never encountered this problem before.  I subscribe to Earthlink and use the Earthlink 5.0 browser a good deal of the time and it happened that some of its files were corrupted.  The Earthlink 5 browser is a modification of the IE browser and the Earthlink folder also contains a Favorites subfolder which duplicates the  Favorites subfolder in the Windows directory.

Apparently, the corrupted Earthlink files also corrupted the Windows Favorites folder.  After re-installation of Earthlink I reconstructed the Favorites folder which I will remember to back up from now on.  Interestingly enough, this problem should not have occurred since I have Internet Explorer and that browser was not affected.

The Earthlink software is an imperfect tool that, when corrupted, also corrupts other Windows files in a system.  I would advise others to stick with Earthlink version 2.3 unless they want the ease of pressing a toolbar tab to access their personal webspace.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2002, 05:59:30 PM »

Well done on solving the problem!

Thank you for updating your thread with the solution.

Take care,

Sylvain Amyot
samyot@mytechsupport.ca

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: