MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Users Documents in Files Shared on this Computer
July 24, 2019, 01:23:08 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 24, 2019, 01:23:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Looking for cheap hardware and/or software?
Visit our new Online Store where you will be able to purchase from a reputable vendor by country.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Users Documents in Files Shared on this Computer  (Read 1095 times)
jandrha

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2003, 10:31:46 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows XP Home Edition
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Hi,
I have just had the most devastating few days! The Blaster Worm got me, and I ended up having to re-install xp. However, I'm nearly there now - just one problem, In 'My Computer' under 'files stored on this computer', where there used to be just 'shared documents', there is now also 'Ruth's Documents', 'Jordan's Documents' and 'LaToya's Documents'-that is every user on my pc. Everyone's documents also show up in the explorer window. Therefore each user could access everyone else's files. I know we could make our documents private, but I don't even want them to be visible either in my computer or explorer. I have done nothing differently when I re-installed than I did when I first installed, so why are everyone's documents on show now, when they weren't before? And how can I change it back to just shared documents being on show? I would be very grateful for any ideas.
Regards,
Ruth

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2003, 02:34:05 PM »

Hi,

Are you logging in with an admin account? If so, try logging in as a regular user (e.g. ruth, jordan...) to see if you can still access everybody elses documents.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
jandrha

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2003, 09:40:38 AM »

Thanks for replying so quickly. There are 3 accounts in use on my pc. 'LaToya' - Limited Account; 'Jordan' - Limited Account; and 'Ruth' - Computer Administrator. Jordan and LaToya are the accounts of my 2 children and therefore I've limited them. I am Ruth and therefore have the Computer Administrator Account. There are no other accounts in use - the Guest Account is off.
I have also found that my user account (the administrator account) has duplicates of my documents. For example, if I say, wanted to move a music file and clicked on 'move this file' in the music tasks pane, the drop down list giving me choices of where to move the file to, in addition to the usual places, says I can move it to My Music, My Pictures, etc but also to Ruth's Pictures, Ruth's music etc.These are the same folders - I am Ruth!
What is going on here? Have I set up 2 separate accounts for myself, even though there are only the 3 I mentioned, plus the Guest Account which is not in use showing up in 'User Accounts'? In addition, am I storing duplicates of all my folders, in which case that would be taking up a lot of unecessary disk space, but even if not, I don't want duplicates of all my document folders.
I hope you can make sense of this - no-one else seems able to! I've even confounded the guys at Protonic this time with my dilemma, which is why I searched you out. I must say, so far, I'm impressed!
Thanks for helping me, and hope you can find a solution.

jandrha

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2003, 01:47:36 AM »

Hi again,
I have some more information which may help you to help me with my problem. Although as I said there are just the 3 logins on my pc, I ran a Computer Profile Summary (Belarc), and under Logins it states:
HARRISNOLAN1\Jordan
HARRISNOLAN1\LaToya
HARRISNOLAN1\Ruth
NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE
NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
I have no idea what the NT AUTHORITY logins are-I didn't set them up! Could this be connected to my problem?
Thanks again,
Ruth

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2003, 02:51:52 PM »

Hi,

The NT Authority accounts are used by Windows. They should be there

If you log in under a "limited" account, do you see the others files?
Try creating a new "limited" account and log in as it. Do you see the others files?

Just trying to see if the system's user rights are messed up or file permissions.

If you haven't installed any new software since you got the virus, you may want to try a system restore to the date previous to when you got the virus.
Start > All Program > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: