MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Networking Problems arrow Topic: how to connect two computers
December 11, 2019, 09:51:45 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 11, 2019, 09:51:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: how to connect two computers  (Read 5343 times)
wzzup007

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: September 11, 2003, 11:12:40 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: 2000 and XP
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

This isnt really a problem, i just would like to know how to connect two computers inexpensively. I've tried to research it, but i don't understand. Do i need things like Ethernet. Is there any way to connect computers by just one cable using usb ports. It would be nice to share internet (we have Optimum Online) but if that is too hard and expensive I really just want to move files from one computer to another. thanks for the help.

Sean

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2003, 11:12:35 AM »

Hiya,

As far as I know you will need the 'LAN' connection. There are things that need to be done after the 'wires' bit but if you get someone to do it for you e.g. BT, the will fit the cables and then install everything.

I don't think it is expensive at all. You should beable to get it pretty cheap.

There should also be internet sites that will tell you what you need and how to install etc everything (pages not forums).

How much are you willing to spend or would you be prepared to learn and do it yourself?

If I havent helped at all then I'm sure someone else will post you a good site etc.

Thanks,

Sean

wzzup007

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2003, 01:57:07 AM »

hi,

thanks for the reply. i would probably like to do it myself, since i would just have to pay someone to do it for me. i wouldnt want to spend more than a hundred dollars. is that posible?

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2003, 04:02:42 PM »

Hi,

If your only trying to share files between two systems this is what you need:

2 Network Interface Cards (NIC) - one in each system
1 cross-over RJ-45 twisted pair networking cable

If you want these systems to access the internet then you can use Windows Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) but the only draw back is that the system that has the connection to the internet must be turned on for the second system to access the internet. See Windows help for more info on ICS.

If you want a hardware solution to internet connection sharing (the ideal way) then it will cost you more and you will need 2 Straight Throught RJ-45 twisted pair networking cable instead of a croos-over.

You need to decide now what you want before you buy your cables.

Check out http://www.practicallynetworked.com/ for more info.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
johnniep

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2003, 05:16:11 AM »

Hi,
I just got DSL & I'm trying to connect two computers.My primary pc has Windows XP Pro & the secondary is Windows 98SE.I've got the primary up & running fine.I'm using a Netgear router & a Netgear ethernet card in the secondary pc. I had some problems when I tried to install the drivers for this card it didn't come up the way the installation disc described it.Anyway I have both CP's networked & everything seems fine except when I log on to the CP.I get a black background with white letter text.It says somthething to the effect of a file seems to be missing or part has been deleted & to reinstall & that its part of some other file.If you need the exact wording I could write it all down.It says to hit enter which I do about 4 times to get the desktop with this message.This I did write down.

UNABLE TO LOAD THE DYNAMIC LINK LIBRARY MSNP32.DLL
THE SYS.CANNOT FIND THE FILE SPECFIED SOME OR ALL OF THE FOLLOWING FEATURE IS NOT AVAILABLE.
I don't understand what all this means.I obviously did some thing wrong when trying to install the drivers for the card.This happens every time I start the PC up,its driving me crazy.Any help would be much appreciated in layman terms.
                     Thanks,
                          John

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2003, 02:54:33 PM »

Hi,

The msnp32.dll is part of the networking DLLs. Try booting up in Safe-Mode, hit the <F8> key right before the Windows logo screen during boot up to access the boot menu and select Safe-Mode. This should get you into Windows. Try re-installing the network card drivers, then reboot in Normal mode. If this doesn't do it, you will have to go to your Networking Properties and remove the Microsoft Networks client, TCP/IP and the network card, reboot and re-add/re-install these network components.

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
beardos amigos

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2003, 07:27:54 PM »

Good Evening,

I have a Desktop PC running Windows XP Home Edition that connects to the internet via ADSL. I also have a Laptop that runs Windows XP Pro. The 2 PC's have been connected to each other very successfully via a cross-over cable. However, I have obtained a pair of Belkin Bluetooth adapters and wanted to connect the two via this instead of the cable. I have managed to pair the two devices but for some reason I cant view the available services on each machine to get them connnected. I have checked all the simple areas such as authentication and discovery modes but all have proved unsuccessfull. Can anyone offer any assistance or will I have to go back to my lovely yellow cable to gain network access between the two?

Many Thanks

Darran

Darran Beard
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2003, 09:44:41 PM »

Hi beardos amigos,

Can you start a new thread?

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: