MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Application Problems arrow Topic: WMP - video, but no sound
July 24, 2019, 12:30:43 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 24, 2019, 12:30:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WMP - video, but no sound  (Read 2367 times)
diemenge

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2003, 01:05:00 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows 2000
Problem Application Name & Version:  Windows Media Player 7.0/9
Problem Hardware Make & Model:  Pentium II (CompuTrend)
Error Messages:  None

Good day.  I recently upgraded to WMP 7, but after installing I got no sound, but clear video.  So I installed WMP 9.  Same result.  My speakers work great, because mp3 files play OK (MusicMatch)and with other applications (eg. Flash) play sound files no problem.  The only problem is WMP.  It won't play anything with sound. :-(

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2003, 03:25:15 PM »

Hi,

Perhaps the problem is because you don't have the correct codec installed.

Try installing codec 8 from http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324290

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
diemenge

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2003, 08:44:21 PM »

I switched to Windows XP, reinstalled all the codecs from that link and still have the same problem :-(

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2003, 02:51:00 PM »

Hi,

When you say you switched to WinXP, did you wipe clean and re-install?

What is the make and model of your sound card? If integrated, what is the make and model of your motherboard?

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
diemenge

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2003, 08:11:02 PM »

I upgraded to XP (not a full install) from Windows 2000 Pro.  My sound card is EZ Media.  I don't know how to find out my motherboard type.  Is this information available on XP?  Again, my sound works with all other applications; no problem there.  WMP is the only exception.  Thanks...

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2003, 02:51:39 PM »

Hi,

What types of files have you tried to play in WMP?
(e.g. *.wav, *.mid, *.asf, *.avi, *.mpg....)

Try to play wav and mid files from 'c:\windows\media', does the sound work for those files?

Also if problem with ASF files, some audio cards cannot play audio content that was created by using an 8 kilohertz (8-kHz) or 16-kHz sampling rate. To determine if this is the problem, determine the sampling rate that is used in the ASF file:

a. In Windows Media Player, open the streaming media file with which you are having difficulty.
b. On the File menu, click Properties.
c. Click the Advanced tab.
d. Look at the list of codecs in use to see if you can determine the sampling rate for the audio. If it is 8-kHz or 16-kHz, this may be the problem.

Sylvain Amyot

diemenge

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2003, 06:29:28 PM »

You

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2003, 02:41:31 PM »

Maybe try lowering hardware acceleration:

1. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, click Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices, and then click Sounds and Audio Devices (or just Sound and Audio Devices in Classic View).
2. Click the Audio tab, and then click the Advanced button under Sound Playback.
3. Click the Performance tab, and then move the Hardware acceleration slider to a notch closer to None.
4. Click OK, and then click OK again.
5. Click Yes if you are prompted to restart your computer.

If this doesn't do it, undo the change and perhaps try to update your sound card drivers.

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: