MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Help, I can't load an operating system
July 19, 2019, 03:49:08 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 19, 2019, 03:49:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help, I can't load an operating system  (Read 1690 times)
karent

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2003, 01:07:51 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:none
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:Gateway AMD-K6
Error Messages:no operating system

Hello.  My father-in-law purchased a used Gateway AMD-K6/400MHz desktop.  It boots past the Gateway logo, lists the system requirements and then indicates no operating system.  I can gain access to the a: drive with a DOS boot disk, but have been unable to load dos, access the c: drive or the cd drive.  I tried to install Windows, but it crashes looking for a compatible XMS memory manager.  Is there hope or did he just waste $100.
Thanks.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2003, 03:08:44 PM »

Hi,

Does the BIOS setup recognize the hard drive. Try hitting <DEL> (on most systmes) to access the system setup. Look for the hard drive settings (parameters) and set to AUTO if option exists.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
karent

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2003, 06:47:35 PM »

Hello.  I believe that I tried that.  Here is what I see on the Phoenix BIOS Setup Utility Screen after date/time:
Primary Master [6495MB]
Secondary Master [CD Rom]
Num Lock [off]
System Memory [640 KB]
Extended Memory [130048 KB]
BIOS Version 14.00

When I select the [6495MB], it takes me to a screen where AUTO is already highlighted.

Any ideas?  Thanks for your help!

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2003, 03:10:01 PM »

Hi,

Try booting off a Win98 Startup Disk and run FDISK at the command prompt.
Use option 4 to view the partition information. Make sure one exists and that the first one (C:) is a primary partition and set ACTIVE

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
karent

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2003, 02:37:58 AM »

Hello again, here is what the screen states:
Partition C:1
Status A
Type PRIDOS
Volume Label 0

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2003, 05:03:39 PM »

Hi,

Seems like the partition and/or FAT information is messed up. This could be caused by:
- the hard drive was originally partitioned used different hard drive parameters in the BIOS then what AUTO is now detecting
- the drive was originally partitioned using a Disk Manager and now the overlay is not loading.
- a virus messed things up.
- defective hardware....

What do you want to do at this point? Fix what's there or wipe the drive clean and re-install the OS?
If you want to re-install the OS, do you have a Windows installation CD?

Sylvain Amyot

karent

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2003, 01:40:49 AM »

Hello.  I would like to start over and clean the drive.  I own Windows 98 and me.  Please let me know how I can erase everything.

Thanks,
Karen

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2003, 05:03:42 PM »

Hi,

Did your Gateway come with a recovery CD? This would wipe the drive and restore to the original installation as when you first got the system.

If not, boot off a Win98 Startup Disk, run FDISK and select the option the delete the partition, if an extended partition exists, delete that first. PLEASE NOTE: Deleting the partition will completely wipe the drive and the data will be gone for good. Once the partitions are removed and using option 4 in FDISK shows that, simply reboot, again using the Startup Disk, select the options with cdrom support and run setup off the Win98 cd (under the Win98 folder). This will notice no partitions exists, recreate it and install Windows.

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: