MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Windows protection error
November 18, 2019, 04:49:23 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2019, 04:49:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Windows protection error  (Read 1068 times)
cherylo24

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2003, 07:12:41 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows 98
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model: IBM Aptiva 2170
[/b]Error Messages:"Windows protection error, please restart your computer". Press any key to continue ... when i press any key nothing happens.

I have done the restore, the PC reaches the windows login > building driver base >found new hardware > monitor & then freezs with "Windows protection error, please restart your computer". I have to shut the power of on the back of the PC. I had thought I had solved the problem until I got to this. Is there anyway to get past this. Thanks in advance.
Cheryl

Cheryl
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2003, 02:33:40 PM »

Hi,

If running Win98SE, try a registry fix by hitting <F8> before Windows logo screen on bootup and select "Command Prompt Only". Then type 'scanreg /fix' <ENTER> (no quotes)

How did you get the system to finally recognize your drives Huh?

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
windmill4408

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 11:53:59 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by cherylo24

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows 98
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model: IBM Aptiva 2170
[/b]Error Messages:"Windows protection error, please restart your computer". Press any key to continue ... when i press any key nothing happens.

I have done the restore, the PC reaches the windows login > building driver base >found new hardware > monitor & then freezs with "Windows protection error, please restart your computer". I have to shut the power of on the back of the PC. I had thought I had solved the problem until I got to this. Is there anyway to get past this. Thanks in advance.
Cheryl

Next time you turn off the computer, press and hold down the CTRL key while it is rebooting.  This will bring up the Windows Safe Mode window.  Select to start windows in Safe Mode.

While you are in Safe Mode, click on Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and run Scandisk.  Click on Advanced and select what options you'd like.  After you run Scandisk, run the Disk Defragmenter in the System Tools menu.

If you have Configure Safe, click Start, Find, type in cfgsafe.exe and double click if it's there.  Restore a previous snapshot of the system before things went bad.  If you are reloading your entire OS, you can't use Config Safe, since it starts with a clean slate.

When you reboot and you get an error message, write down the file name listed.  I did this and found out it was a device driver to my sound card.  Apparently it was damaged.  To repair it, I went to Control Panel, add/remove programs, windows startup and unclicked Multimedia, clicked ok, removed all the multimedia drivers, clicked Multimedia agan, clicked ok, and re-installed them.

If you don't know what device Windows doesn't like, Windows Help suggests to go into Control Panel, System, disable a few suspect hardware profiles, reboot and if windows loads properly, you know that the disabled hardware driver was the culprit.  Then you have to re-install the driver.  To do that, go to Control Panel, System, Device Manager, select the driver, click delete, and click refresh to detect the hardware again and Device Manager will re-install the driver.

All these things can be done in Safe Mode, but you won't be able to use your CD drive.

Jon

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: