MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: cant find cd rom
September 17, 2019, 01:58:02 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 17, 2019, 01:58:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Help us help you! Help us help you by helping out! The more people know about us, the more help will be available. Click here to find out how...
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: cant find cd rom  (Read 3498 times)
dbdcdarrell

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2003, 05:51:35 PM »

i have a Dell L800CXE,with a Hp 9100 cd burner,and windows ME.
 i had to reformat the hard drive and now it will not recognize the cd rom,it goes to the start computer with( cd rom support screen)finds the cd rom driver and the device name and just stops, any attemp to go from the A prompt to a D prompt only results in a ( bad command or file name)or(invalid drive) could it be BIOS settings? It wont even work with the original cd rom. Help

« Last Edit: September 19, 2003, 12:01:40 PM by dbdcdarrell » Logged

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2003, 02:15:46 PM »

Hi,

Was the cdrw working before you formatted?
If so, the WinME Startup disk may not have the right drivers to support that drive.
Check in your BIOS setup (hit <DEL> key during power up on mosts systems to access BIOS setup) for the boot order and set cdrom has the first boot device, then Floppy drive, then hard drive. Insert your WinME cd and reboot. See if you can boot off the WinME cd (I am not sure if it is bootable but there is a chance it is)

If the cdrw is new and was never working, then verify the master/slave jumper setting on the back of the cdrw to make sure it is set correctly.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
dbdcdarrell

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2003, 02:26:34 PM »

the cd rw is working(or at least it does on my old pentium 2, and I have checked ribbons, and power, all good). I think its on cable select, and it will not boot from the ME cdand if I have the ME startup disk in it tell me its not a valid system disk. It goes thru the boot from hard disk or cd rom screen to the start windows setup from cd rom,start with cd rom support, or start without cd rom support.
If I hit start from cd rom, or support from cd rom , it finds the cd rom drivers ( supplied by ati)shows the device name, and the little cursor just sets there blinking at the end of it. acording to what i have read on ME, when it gets there I should be able to hit (enter) and it will go on, but it wont.
I really appreciate any help you can give

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2003, 03:19:31 PM »

Hi,

How is the cdrw connected?
Is it on the first ribbon cable with your hard drive or on the second ribbon cable with another drive or by itself?

Try setting the cdrw to master or slave (depending what your answer is for my first question) instead of cable select.

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
dbdcdarrell

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2003, 03:40:30 PM »

its the only device on the second  ribbon. I'll try that
thanks

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2003, 03:42:50 PM »

Hi,

Some cdrom drive, for some reason, work better set to slave when alone on a ribbon cable. Try to set as master and if problem persists, try slave.

Sylvain Amyot

dbdcdarrell

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2003, 04:42:28 PM »

ok thanks i'll try that asap

dbdcdarrell

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2003, 02:13:14 AM »

tried all 3(master, slave, CS) to no avail,I have repartitioned and reformatted the drive. I have a cd rom device driver cd, when i try to install it is will not completely install because it says it cant find a config.sys. file,, any ideas?
thanks
Oh by the way, I have been trying to reinstall with these
winows 95 boot disk ,cd rom, and cd rom drivers
windows 98 boot disk and cd rom
windows ME boot disk and cd rom(although its from Dell and probably not a full version)
other than that I have the resource cd and applications cd( backup programs) from Dell
« Last Edit: September 20, 2003, 02:18:21 AM by dbdcdarrell » Logged

dbdcdarrell

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2003, 09:38:29 PM »

1 more thing, it finds the cd rom in Bios, but does not give it a drive letter in the startup then,, could this be the whole problem,and related to the config sys error??

dbdcdarrell

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2003, 12:03:49 PM »

Hey all,
I'm up and running, except for one thing. i need to add a line to my Bat. and config sys file(so I can get it to show the device name as some thing like>D:\atapi:OEM001)
The resource cd had this info , but didnt tell me how to put it in.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2003, 03:34:34 PM »

Hi,

I'm glad you got Windows installed!

If you're trying to config DOS level cdrom drivers (which are not needed in Windows) for some reason you need to have the cdrom drive (usually a .SYS file) in c:\config.sys and MSCDEX.EXE in c:\autoexec.bat

Are you trying to setup a boot disk in case of future use?

Add to autoexec.bat
MSCDEX.EXE /D:oem001

Add to config.sys
device=cdrwdriver.sys /D:oem001
Where cdrwdriver.sys is the name of the driver you have

Sylvain Amyot

dbdcdarrell

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2003, 07:20:05 PM »

ok thanks I'll try that asap

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2003, 06:38:44 PM »

Any Luck?

Sylvain Amyot

dbdcdarrell

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2003, 11:59:20 AM »

not really, got it loaded, never did find the cd rom in dos, reloaded with ME, and went through the finding new hardware, and every time it comes to the Universal Serial Bus controller,and starts installing the drivers for it, the computer restarts and this keeps happening over and over, I think my motherboard is shot
it never did this with win98, but win98 doesnt have the USB support in the installation either, so it would not find any available drivers for it, I could cancel it and go on into windows
« Last Edit: October 03, 2003, 12:02:25 PM by dbdcdarrell » Logged

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2003, 01:08:10 PM »

Hi,

Did your motherboard come with a cdrom. If so, maybe there are USB drivers on it.
If not, what is the make and model of your motherboard?

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 

Jump to: