MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: cant access bios
September 18, 2019, 04:05:08 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 18, 2019, 04:05:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: cant access bios  (Read 2171 times)
joneset

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2003, 06:51:09 PM »

Just  bought new mobo - DFI LAN Party Pro875. when switching on, it recognises the cpu (P4) and memort (512Mb) but doesn't recognise hard drive or dvd-rom drive - also pressing DEL doesn't take you to BIOS - system just hangs.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2003, 05:32:49 PM »

Hi,

Check your IDE cable going to your hard drive and DVD drive to make sure the orientation is correct. Also make sure the master/slave jumpers on these devices are set correctly.

To enter BIOS, try and disconnect the IDE ribbon cables at the motherboard end. Can you now enter the BIOS. If so, then the problem is most likely what I suggested above.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
joneset

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2003, 06:53:06 PM »

Hi Admin,
Thanks for your response.
I've examined the jumpers/orientation of the IDE cables and all seem Ok. (Incidentaly, both the DVD-ROM and the HDD work in an old PIII I've got lying around, so I know there's nothing wrong with these.)

I've also tried booting up without any IDE leads connected to the mobo but still it only gets as far as recognising the P4, the RAM and then still hangs. Pressing DEL does not take you to the BIOS.
Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2003, 06:58:20 PM »

Hi,

Is the keyboard working? Is is an USB keyboard, if so, do you have a standard PS/2 keyboard?

Is the key to enter the BIOS perhaps something else? Do you see at the top or bottom of the screen to hit such a key to enter BIOS?

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
joneset

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2003, 07:29:47 PM »

Hi Admin,
It's a standard PS/2 keyboard.
When booting, it does say at the bottom of the screen press DEL to enter setup but, st stated, this doesn't happen

Thanks

joneset

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2003, 06:55:08 PM »

Hello Admin,

A couple of developments.

I tried running the system again with a stick of DDR RAM that I know works (Kingston 512Mb) and this works as far as getting me into the BIOS. This suggests that the initial problem was with the onboard RAM, even though the system detected it.

Everything is Ok until it tries to load Windows (2000) when the following message appears:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xEB81B84C, 0x0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Check for viruses on your computer.
Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers.
Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.
Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Refer to your Getting Started manual for more information on troubleshooting Start errors.

I have done all of the above but can get no further than this "blue screen of death"

Look forward to hearing from you soon,

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2003, 04:51:05 PM »

Hi,

How many hard drives are in your system? If more that one, perhaps the C: drive is not the primary master.

If you have one hard drive that had Windows installed on a second partition and a new cdrom/cdrw drive was added, perhaps the drive letters changed.

Sylvain Amyot

joneset

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2003, 01:32:34 PM »

Hello Admin,
I am glad to report that you can now close this thread.
To overcome the problem I simply booted up with my Windows 2000 disc in the CD-ROM drive, booted from CD, then chose the "repair Windows 2000 installation" option and everything worked!

Now repsonding to this message using, for the first time, completely new Motherboard, Processor, Memory, Hard Disc, DVD-ROM etc. Have also got my old HDD installed as a slave so that I can easily copy across any required files before I reformat for use in another pc.

Many thanks for your help and suggestions

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2003, 12:49:27 PM »

That's great! Glad your up and running! Grin

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: