MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: CD writer deceased?
November 18, 2019, 04:50:56 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2019, 04:50:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Help us help you! Help us help you by helping out! The more people know about us, the more help will be available. Click here to find out how...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CD writer deceased?  (Read 866 times)
Haith

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2003, 11:37:10 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: ME
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:  Unknown until tomorrow
Error Messages:

I figured I'd run this scenario past you in case there is anything I'm leaving out.

Couple nights ago, system locked up (Windows...go figure!) but an error box popped up briefly.  I think it said error in CD Create or something similar.  Rebooted.  My burning software is/was Adapatec DirectCD 3.01c   The icon for this in the task bar changed so that a red slash went through it.  Rebooted a couple times since and red slash did not go away.  Tried to run burner software and got error message that no supported CD writer was found.  (I only use the burner for backing up files, not music.  Althought this IBM Netvista is about 2 years old, the burner has less than 50 hours on it)
Then I tried to open the CD drawer...wouldn't open.  Checked Windows explorer...drive not showing up.  Checked My Computer...not showing up.  Rebooted while pressing the CD drawer open button before Windows loads...nothing.

First thing I'll do tomorrow when I have time to open the case, is check the connections.  If that is a no go, I will try to substitute a CD rom or writer that I will try to borrow for troubleshooting purposes.  Or, based on what I described...is the writer deceased?

Any other steps or things I can try?
Thanks in advance...
Haith

Professional computer geek that loves the outdoors moreso!
Computer worker...console gamer!
Haith

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2003, 03:35:23 PM »

Update to the above.
Found a paper clip and opened the drive.  Knew there was no CD in there so didn't expect any difference.
Started the computer with the door open and the CD light blinked fast, then went steady "on".  Normally an open door on start would have automatically closed the door.  
CD writer still did not show up in my computer etc.
Rebooted a couple of time and it was back to the way it was in my first post.  Puzzling eh!

Haith

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2003, 03:48:57 PM »

Case closed.
The borrowed one worked right away.
Went out bought a new burner and stomped on the old one.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2003, 06:10:20 PM »

Glad you got it working! Grin

Thanks for the update!

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: