MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Pc won't start. Keep getting blue screen
June 02, 2020, 01:39:37 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2020, 01:39:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Help us help you! Help us help you by helping out! The more people know about us, the more help will be available. Click here to find out how...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pc won't start. Keep getting blue screen  (Read 2483 times)
maxam00

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2003, 03:49:39 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:win me
Problem Application Name & Version: startup
Problem Hardware Make & Model: dell dimension 8100 256 mb ram 1.3 ghz
Error Messages:  an exception  has occurred at 0028:c0053597 in vxd---  this was called from 0028:c1481ab3 in vxd---.   it may be possible to continue normally. press any key to continue. press control alt delete to restart your computer
everytime i start i get the blue screen with this error.  i was browsing normally and got a message stating that my memory was low, and something about my norton antivirus. i tried to close some programs and the pc stalled. i couldn't cntrl-alt-del so i turned it off and back on and this error message shows ever since. i can't start in safe mode either, i get an error message stating "while initializing device vsdata95 windows protection error." smae thing with setp by step confirmation. I even tried to re-install windows but the sytem has to run scandisk, and that halts after about 10 minutes with a memory error, and setup won't let me skip it and try to re-install! Does anybody habe any ideas?

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2003, 05:13:48 PM »

Hi,

Does scandisk find bad sectors? What is the exact error scandisk is reporting?

You can bypass scandisk during setup by running 'setup /is' (no quotes) but this will not get rid of your problems!

Let me know about the scandisk error.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
maxam00

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2003, 05:51:35 PM »

yes, scandisk finds a damaged directory but it's a weird name  "c\dir00001\66666666.666 file or directory is damaged and is currently unusable. scandisk will delete the filename information and a new filename will be given"  i then click fix and the warning keeps popping up and i keep pressing fix it for about 10-12 minutes, and then scandisk stops and says "memory error." i can't even get it to do a surface scan since this same thing happens before the surface scan can even start.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2003, 06:15:52 PM »

Hi,

Dir00001 is a directory created by scandisk when it repairs a damaged directory. If this Dir00001 directory is now also damaged, I would try to re-install Windows (see my previous post to bypass scandisk) and then delete the Dir00001 folder. Once deleted, run scandisk again.

You can also use a Win98 Startup disk (http://www.bootdisk.com) with the DELTREE command and delete the Dir00001 folder.

Download Attachment: DELTREE.ZIP 19.55

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
maxam00

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2003, 10:04:37 PM »

thanks for helping me. I did the deltree c:\dir00001 and it promots me for y or n and i pressed "y". then pc says deleting dir00001. but when i run scandisk it still shows dir00001 as a problem and asks if i want to fix it. i say yes and it asks me constantly for about 10 minutes, with me pressing f for f each time. then the memory error again. can i run setup to try to reinstall windows from the "a" prompt? i tried it and it says abort or retry.(setup/is)

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2003, 03:59:14 PM »

Hi,

If re-installing WinME, use a WinME startup disk and select the "with cdrom support" options. Take note as to what drive letter is assigned to your cdrom drive when MSCDEX loads. Insert your WinME installation cd, and change over to the cdrom drive by typing 'X:' <ENTER> (no quotes) (where X is the drive letter you saw assigned earlier). Then type 'cd win9x' <ENTER> (no quotes) and then 'setup /is' <ENTER> (no quotes)

or

Hit <DEL> key during power up (or whatever the key is) to enter your BIOS setup. Look for an option to change the device boot order and set to cdrom, then floppy drive and then hard drive. Insert your WinME cd and save and exit frrom the BIOS. The system should now boot off the WinME installation cd and run setup.

Sylvain Amyot

maxam00

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2003, 07:00:45 PM »

hi, and thanks for helping me this much. I tried the first optiona nd i get to where the system says diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive D. your cdrom is drive E. i then type e: and the prompt changes to e:\. then i typed cd win9x and hit enter. the system says that this is an invalid directory. i changed the drive to both d, which is my usual cd drive and also to c: but i keep getting the same invalid directory error.  . also when i boot directly from the windows me CD, it doesn't do startup but instead boots windows and i get to where i can see my desktop but then an error message " there is a problem with a system file. windows might not be able to run correctly. you might fix this by using system restore. If that does not work you may try reinstalling windows." it thens gives me an option of continuing although my system will be unstable or press no to exit windows. regardless of whichever i press the screen shows the message 2 more times and then restarts again and i then i get to the same screen again.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2003, 01:43:06 PM »

Hi,

Is your WinME cd an original Microsoft CD or a recovery CD from the manufacturer of your PC?

Try it again and when you switch to the E: drive, type 'dir' <ENTER> (no quotes). Does this display a listing of files or still give your an error message?

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: