MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: cannot remove
June 02, 2020, 01:19:23 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2020, 01:19:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: cannot remove  (Read 1543 times)
luishugo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2003, 10:46:34 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:dell optiplex gx110 ,pentium3
Problem Application Name & Version:windows xp home
Problem Hardware Make & Model:quickbooks 2002
Error Messages:

cannot remove this program ,windows cannot find this program ,related to mm exe 32.   ?  also norton doctor cannot work before this mm exe 32 config......? and; what I can do to close a port in my computer ,basically I runned a norton security scan test and founded a open port ,and comments about it and recomendation is :close a open port ,because hackers will see my computer,what I can do for this.....?  

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2003, 01:03:29 PM »

Hi,

If you cannot uninstall an application through the "Add/Remove Program" applet in the Control Panel because you get an error message, simply re-install the application, which will fix the un-installer and then you should be able to remove it.

What port did Norton Security Scan Test report needed to be closed?

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
luishugo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2003, 09:41:47 PM »

Thanks for the info. about the quikbooks ,also the open port is; the "ICMP Ping " what I'm suppoused to do; to close this port...? thanks

tincan
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2003, 08:07:43 PM »

You cannot close an icmp port. Reason being ICMP is a protocol and not a service or deamon. Services or dameons open up ports.

Now what you can do is implement a personal firewall and block certain types of icmp packets. Personally I do not think you need to worry about ICMP, a hacker cannot really do much with this. I would worry more about ports 135, 137, 139 etc.... These ports a used by the smb protocol, wich is used for shares on windows. Now a hackers can access your system with these ports. Again you cannot close these ports, therefor a personal firewall would be your best solution if your workstation or laptop is connect directly to the internet via a modem.

http://www.opensourceinfo.org
OpenSource for an OpenMind.
http://www.moviehaven.ca
Your say about movies.
luishugo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2003, 10:24:45 PM »

Thanks for the information but how I can open a personal firewall? ,also if I do that (firewall) how can I search the web or open a web pages? ,as  far I know if you got a firewall you cannot connected to the internet , thanks.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2003, 04:19:58 PM »

Hi,

If you're using a broadband connection (DLS, Cable...), you should have a firewall installed. This will prevent hackers from the internet to access your system. The firewall will allow you to block or allow internet applications installed on your system to access the internet. Obviously you would allow your browser access.

Here are a few firewall you can look at:

Norton Personal Firewall
ZoneAlarm
Tiny Firewall

Do search for their sites:
http://www.google.ca/search?q=firewall&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&meta=

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
luishugo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2003, 05:00:15 PM »

Thanks I got a dial up internet access,xp home

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2003, 02:34:15 PM »

Glad to help! Grin

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: