MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Power Supply problemos?
June 02, 2020, 01:24:53 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2020, 01:24:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Power Supply problemos?  (Read 996 times)
Player-007

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2003, 11:51:50 PM »

My Computer:
ASUS nVidia A7N8X Delux Motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (slightly overclocked by .02 Ghz)
512 MB DDR-400 PC 3200 RAM
128 MB GeForece 4 Ti 4200 8x AGP
40 GB Western Digital 7200 RPM HDD

Problem:
Let me start by saying I built this computer myself about 2 months ago. It has been running absolutely fine and I believe this problem is isolated in the power supply alone. Of course I'm not going to try anything until I get some feedback from those of you who know what your doing Wink

I have a 400 Watt ATX power supply that has over-current and over-heat protection. It is barely 3 months old and does support my cpu (if that is even needed Wink ). Just the other day, I decided it would be a fantastic idea to move my computer from below my desk to on top, where it would potentially not gather as much heat. After unplugging everything without incident, moving the computer carefully up onto the desk and plugging everything back in, I flipped the power switch on the back of my power supply, (The thingy that looks like (- O), and punched (not literally) the On button on front..............hmm nothings happening.

What the hell did I do? I dont remember any sparks or the smell of overheating or frying the motherboard. I dont remember hearing any electrical shocks or anything like that. All I know is that somehow the PS is not powering ANY bit of the computer because absolutely nothing happened when I pushed the button. The PS might as well not even BE there.

Even if I did miss something completely obvious, I'm not totally retarded: I checked all the plug-ins on the motherboard and made sure the switch on the back of the power supply was pointing in the right direction. It just seems that my power supply forgot its main funtion while being moved from below my desk to on top.

Its not that I dont trust any of you, but I've decided that if I cant fix this problem myself, by the weekend, I'll just take it into COMPusa or something so the pros can fix it....for a price Sad

I've talked to my geek friends at school and they think either my PS somehow died on me or the fuse (?) is fried. The (?) is there because I looked all over the PS and did not find anything resembling a fuse?? Do they even create ATX PS with fuses? Either way, I just want someone to tell me this is solely a PS problem and to tell me I did not just fry my brand new computer.

Thanks,
Player-007

My name on Star Wars Galaxies: Arexen, Galaxy; Ahazi
Player-007

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2003, 11:06:11 PM »

Ah,
I solved my own problem: somehow my PS died. It doesn't work. Thanks to my warranty, however, I'll be getting a replacement within the week and be playing Star Wars Galaxies again soon enough Wink

I'm just glad it wasnt the motherboard. Smiley

Player-007

My name on Star Wars Galaxies: Arexen, Galaxy; Ahazi
Haith

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2003, 05:00:39 PM »

Thanks for updating and closing your post.
Glad everything worked out!

Professional computer geek that loves the outdoors moreso!
Computer worker...console gamer!
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2003, 05:18:28 PM »

Glad you solved your problem! Grin

Let me know if the problem persists after the new PSU and I will re-open this thread.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: