MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Connections noise, after installation of new HDD.
June 05, 2020, 12:22:33 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2020, 12:22:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Connections noise, after installation of new HDD.  (Read 1197 times)
Ross

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2003, 12:45:20 PM »

Pease help, as I my computer skills are very basic.
Two months ago, my computer, whilst idling on windows XP
wallpaper shut down, leaving the screen blank (with message--
"system needs to re- boot".) I had the r-boot recovery f/disk,
but it kept coming up :- insert master CD. Like a fool, I had not made copies. I gave computer to repairer, who told me that the hard drive had gone.? Whilst he ordered replacement, which he said would be O.K. to upgrade from original 40Gb to 80Gb, I contacted Packard Bell, who sent me the 4 master CDs. I gave him these and got computer back, at a cost of
« Last Edit: October 15, 2003, 04:38:29 PM by Ross » Logged

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2003, 04:50:45 PM »

Hi,

Does it sound like something is touching one of the spinning fans inside or is the new hard drive making this noise?

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Ross

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2003, 07:51:26 PM »

Hi There,
No, it is not fan or hard drive noise.
The sound of electrical connections, with the speed of a machine gun.

ROSS.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2003, 02:26:57 PM »

Hi,

If this noise started right after receiving the system back from repair, I would call them and get them to fix the problem, since they caused it!

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2003, 02:51:03 PM »

Hi,

If you want to add to this thread, please select the REPLY TO TOPIC link instead of editing a previous post. This way I can tell what new info you added.

I am assuming this is what you added to your first post!
quote:
...Is it at all possible, that he has not installed the Master CDs properly.? Prior to new HDD, I had about 70% free space and now I only have 60% on double the size HDD. I have also noted that looking in the HDD Setup Format, the disk allocation is set to max bytes (4096) and not default as reccommended by the system?...
I think these are questions you should ask the person who did the upgrade, I do not know what was re-installed on the new drive. Perhaps the Packard Bell CDs include more stuff than the original setup?

Have you contacted the tech who did the upgrade about the noise?

Sylvain Amyot

Ross

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2003, 09:04:29 PM »

Hi there again.
The master cd s sent, are those which were pre - installed in the computer when new.
As for contacting the guy who did the installation of new HDD, I dont want him within a mile of my system ever again. After taking my cheque, he told me he had only repaired three computers in the last year.!

Regards,

ROSS.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2003, 03:32:43 PM »

Hi,

Well, to figure out what is causing the noise, you will have to open the case (if you're comfortable doing so) and hear where it's coming from.

About the disk space, you can still call the guy to find out what he did, can't you?

Let me know what you find

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: